Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem DLL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tech Geniuses

Tech Geniuses

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

OK, here is a strange one.  I have a client who has a Win 7 Home Prem PC.  Whenever he does something in windowes explorer such as 'right click', or try to rename a file or folder he gets a "Run DLL" pop-up.  It has "There was a problem starting C:\users ...... appdata\local\temp\spkvfvr\smtpuvn\wow.dll   The specified module cannot be found".  Of course there is no such DLL.  He had a trojan a few months ago which was successfully removed and a lot of 'crap' programs'.  He likes to download things.  Any ideas?  I have run Malware Bytes, AVG, from fresh boots and CDs with no luck.   I have also had no luck searching for tyhe file on-line. 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

If it was my case, I would go into the registry and go and delete and association to the dll there, so then windows doesn't complain about the missing dll. Though, if you know as well as I do, the windows registry is a scary place if you don't know what you're doing. It's like tech spaghetti, and sometimes you have to trim it with a machete.

Edited by Zestypanda, 07 July 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 Tech Geniuses

Tech Geniuses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

yea, tried that already.  Did searches for "spkvfvr", "smtpuvn", and "wow.dll".  Of course did the search AFTER backing the reg up  (  :     NO trace of any of them nor the program that is calling the DLL.  Something must be calling it specifically - it just doesn't happen to be there.   Thanx

#4 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Please check your startup folder.

The location of the folders is as follows:
For an individual user:
C:\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

For all users:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#5 Tech Geniuses

Tech Geniuses
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

what is most likely happening is that some program is calling the dll.  I have tried stopping just about everything in the startup (using msconfig / safe mode) as well as set as manual then stop multiple services.  Just left the essentuals.  There is probably something masked as something else.  I tried running RKILL and even did a boot to an AVG boot disk.  As mentioned in the post it is quite perplexing (  :      The 'dll not found' just happens when you right click a file or try to rename it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users