Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grub error disk full

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sharpsbarbee

sharpsbarbee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

I am installing replacement 4 windows on a computer. If I install R4W with a SATA drive it install and runs properly. If I remove the SATA drive and install an IDE drive I det the Grub error message.

Because I Get into Grub I know the boot loader starts properly but some where it can't get to Linux.

Any IDEAS or where to look and how do I look there.

Kurt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Although it's up to you I would suggest using another Debian/Linux release. I thought R4W faded away in 2011/2012 and no support or updates are available other than Debian updates?

("http://webpath.net/it/r4w/index.php?wiki=Usage-Install-DVD" isn't even up any more?)

"The GRUB error message"; what error message exactly? As this is your boot loader that's failing telling us the exact error message is kind of important!

Assuming that Linux/R4W did successfuly install on the IDE drive and it's just a GRUB issue, wrong path or switches for example, have you used a live CD/DVD to look into it and what have you found out?

Your above post is akin to taking your car to a mechanic and saying you hear a funny noise and asking if he knows what it is.   xc)

Based on the above can you elaborate?

L8r,

Zen

#3 sharpsbarbee

sharpsbarbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Sorry
I am new to bleepingcomputer and did not know if I would receive a
reply so I didn't give much info.

I am new to linux but like to dig to solve problems.

The computer info is as follows:

mother board is a ASUS M2A-VM HDMI
    cpu is a dual core amd Athlon 5200+
    Disk 1 is a Hitachi  160GB Sata, boots ok.
    Disk 2 is a Hitachi  250GB IDE , Boots into grub rescue.
The only thing changed are the disk drives. I have them in disk card racks.

The error message is :

Grub loading

Welcome to grub!

error : hd0 out of disk

entering rescue mode ...

grub rescue
commands I can use are ls, set, insmod, unset

ls gets

(hd0) ( hd0,msdos2) ( hd0,msdos1) (fd0) (fd1)

set gets

prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub

root= hd0,msdos1

I though about updating the bios to see if it would fix anything.

I hope this helps. If you have questions I will try to answer them.

Kurt

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

I'm still not sure what your trying to do in the long run, what the end result you're looking for is, but here is what I've looked into;

1. You have an old version of R4W from 2011, a Debian sub-branch, you want to install on a desktop system.

2. You have two drives for this system; one is SATA and one is EIDE.

3. If you install your R4W from CD/DVD to SATA everything works fine and Grub boots correctly.

4. If you install your R4W from CD/DVD to EIDE everything stops/breaks when you select the OS to boot from the Grub menu. (Not sure if Grub or Grub 2 is installed?)

5. What you want is for the EIDE drive to be the only drive with the OS and for Grub to successfully launch it from the menu.

To the above end I found a few posts and people with the same or near issue that you seem to have. I've attached the link to the best topic I found that might help you resolve or work around the issue your having. "http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1389571"

Note that their are a few links in the topic which helped different people but the manual steps for trouble shooting this and manually booting the image you want via command-line should help regardless.

Best of luck,

Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users