Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have W XP Prof. & Mic. Office Standard Edition 2003 is gone crazy??

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 clarita

clarita

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

Hello everybody:

Thak you for taking the time to read my message. I am a new user, like 2 minutes new user.

I have this PC since 2008, it was bought new and I was never thrilled with its speed. But it was a friend who sold it to me so...here I am. I was planning to use it a lot this weekend to update some excel work I really need to do but here is the problem:

Outlook was acting up a bit. Then one day someone sent to me a very large file ( I was on dial up until the 5th of July 2013) and I could not download it. After I deleted the file through the web-mail I lost my internet connection. I was without internet for weeks. I managed to re-program my dial up connection and I received all my emails  but I could not "send" emails. I went to outlook -help and I saw something about "repair" and clicked on it. A window came up and asked me for the disk. I do not have a disk. Someone gave me a disk of a "copy of Office 2003" and when I put the disk in, it just does not work.

So when I attempt to open Word, excel, outlook or power point the window comes back, something seems to download and then it asks me for the disk.

I went to control panel-"add or remove programs "and I do not see Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003. I see many updates starting with the compatibility pack for the 2007 office system. There are many many upadates the latest one being on July 05 2013. That is the date I was connected to a much faster internet server provider. Not exactly high speed but MUCH faster than dial up.

I don't know what to do. I do not have money to buy another computer now. I need to fix this somehow.

Any ideas?

Whatever anyuone could do for me it is already greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Clarita

Edited by hamluis, 07 July 2013 - 06:52 PM.
Moved from XP to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

It sounds like your copy of MS Office has got corrupted somehow.

Since you cannot lay your hands on an appropriate install disc in a hurry, as at least a short term fix, and since you say you now have a reasonable internet connection, have you considered either Libre Office or Open Office ? Both available as free downloads.

Libre Office  :-  https://www.libreoffice.org/

Open Office :-  www.openoffice.org/‎

As far as I know, and from brief personal experience, they can both open Excel files and save files as .XLS and .XLSX types. The only weakness, and that may have been fixed by now, is sometimes formatting is not always exactly preserved.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 clarita

clarita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hi Chris Cosgrove:

I managed to open excel, I don't know how it happened. I am able to work now but I was wondering what is the best long term solution. Outlook is out of my reach and I need to access my contacts to let them know of my new email address, I am planning to use another email address with my outlook of course.

What pops up is a "windows installer".

The second window that appears says:

"Microsoft Standard Edition 2003"

Installation Error: File not found.

A requiered installation file SKU012.CAB could not be found. Original Installation Source Required. If you installed Microsoft Standard Edition 2003 from a CD, please instert your CD. If you installed M O S E 2003 over your computer network, please browse over the installation source of your network, once you have located the installation source click OK.

So since my Office is corrupted, the only way to fix it is with the disk?

Thanks!

#4 clarita

clarita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

Hi again:

As I said first, I have a copy someone made for me of Office 2003. I looked in all the files from this disk and I do not have  SKU012.CAB. There is a SKU011 and a SKU026.

When I put the disk in; nothing really happens.

Clarita

#5 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Ok, first, the cd copy of your installation files is mostly pirated. Second, I believe you can import all your contacts from outlook into thunderbird. (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/) install the file and it will most likely prompt you to import contacts, do so and then send your email.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#6 clarita

clarita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hi Zestypanda:

Thank you for the tip about thunderbird. I will use it to import my emails.

The person who gave me the disk has a computer-sales and repairs business in my city, I guess you might be right about the CD being pirated. I can see it is a copy he made; I am not sure.

I am contacting the person I bought the computer from, he moved to another city 1:30 hrs. away from where I live so it is a bit harder now; and today is Sunday, I already left a couple of messages. That is his business, computer sales and repairs. I am in Canada.

I was hoping to fix the problem on my own but I can only fix a bit here and a bit there. I would like to have office 100 % repaired and working so I can use outlook and excel without hesitation or guessing. I would like to use outlook with my new internet server provider. I cannot create a new email account until Outlook is fixed. I am used to outlook so I would like to have it again.

I hope all my work in excel wil be saved.

Thank you to Chris Crosgrove in Scotland and thank you to Zestypanda in San Diego.

Best regards,

Clarita

#7 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

I am glad we both have been able to get you a few steps closer to a happy and healthy computer. If worse comes to worse you can search on eBay for a fresh copy of office 2003. Since all your documents are stored in your documents folder, or another place is you chose to save it somewhere other than there, you should be in no danger of losing project and work files if you re install your office.
Also, as for the file, do you remember if the large excel file came from someone you trust, eg: friend, business associate, family member. Or was if from an unknown email address/sender? Most likely the excel file you downloaded was tainted with a macro virus.
Though, lets not jump to conclusions and assume that your computer is infested. :o

#8 clarita

clarita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Zestypanda from San Diego:

The very large file that came to my email account was actually a PDF file from a very trusted family member who forgot that I did not have the capacity to receive very large files.

That file I could never download in my computer. What I did was to go to the webmail from my old ISP and from their web site  I forwarded to a printing shop in my city and then I deleted it. So it never really came to my computer, it was too large! I already got the printed copy of that file, the printing shop owners have a very strong virus protection and all is fine.

Since I had dial up connection forever, all my contacts were asked not to send me large files, always one at a time and reduced if possible. I actually do not get junk mail. They all were asked not to send me forward emails, like those power point all-love-and- friendship ones that have dozens of emails from people I don't know. It took a bit of training but my contacts got the message and behaved.

I will talk to my new ISP to ask how to turn the internet off if I am just using the computer for other stuff. Hacking makes me nervous. I only need the internet for emails and very little for other stuff. I do not and will not do internet banking. I have shopped on line very little and probably will continue to be shy about that.

Yes, I am a bit weird that way. Old fashion?  I choose not to have a cellular phone ;<)

Cheers!

Clarita

#9 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Hmm, yes that is perplexing, do you have any antivirus protection installed? Also, do you use Internet explorer? Or do you use another browser, such as Forefox or Google chrome? Also, have you installed any third party applications recently? It seems as if, if I am correct, you mostly do business type work on your computer, word, excell, outlook, is that correct?

#10 clarita

clarita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

Yes I do have virus protection installed and it is updated. I use Mozilla Firefox. What are third party applications? Excuse my ignorance

Yes, I use the computer for word, excel, outlook and I love my photographs, that is my pleasure time in my computer. Family pictures are the best!

Clarita

#11 clarita

clarita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Oh by the way, when I forwarded that PDF file to the printing shop it was done from another computer, not mine. I was without internet for about 2-3 weeks. I think with dial up connection it was very hard for me to get a virus. I connected to the Internet very little only to check my emails. My connection was so poor that browsing was just not something I could do. I think my modem was also just about going to die. Our telephone lines are old, so the connection was just very weak.

#12 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hello again Clarita, if it wasn't for your Microsoft office going missing I would chalk this up to a spotty Internet connection, dying modem, and old lines. Though, since program files have gone missing with no logical cause, this may be something more. Also, third parry applications would be applications that are not included by default in the operating system. Such as Firefox, or Microsoft office (though newer versions of windows do include a trial of office.) as for your virus protection, can, or do you recall what it is? Is it MSE (Microsoft security essentials), Mcaffee, Norton, Avg, Avast?

#13 clarita

clarita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

Avast

#14 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Ok, has avast recently reported any threats being detected, quarantined, or removed? And also, I am sorry for asking you a while bunch of questions, I bet what you want most is to just have this fixed fast and not be bothered with any more questions.

#15 clarita

clarita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

Sorry, I was away for a while. No, avast has never reported any threats being detected, quarantined or removed. It does not bother me at all you ask questions. I appreaciate the time you are taking into my issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users