Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Public Access & Wireless Connection Problems?/

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 saraveza408

saraveza408

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:43 PM

Ive been having problems with my internet.In the middle of surfing the web my internet will stop responding,yet the little computer down on my task bar does not have a red "X" on it and the staus will say "connected".Even if I attemp to repair it it still wont work.Sometimes it'll take me shutting down the computer and restarting it.Now I know that where I live is a "hot spot",kinda like if you go to Starbucks & you can get free public wireless internet access(but I live next to a school so I assume thats where Im getting the connection).And I know I use a lucent technologies wireless card with my xp professional.Like I've said before I am the rookiest of rookies when it come to computers(((yet Im learning & I catch on quick)))So can anyone help me with my internet problems??Please & thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:44 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
I am guessing the school LAN is picking you up as an interloper and dening you access. Piggy backing off of Starbuck® is legal but intercepting the signal from a facility like a school or buniess is illegal. If you are receiving a signal from the school they may not even know their system is not secure. The thing to do is inform them of the whole in their security.
Sorry I was not of much help, but from what you described I don't see one in this forum helpping to to breech the School's LAN.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 saraveza408

saraveza408
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:11 AM

Oh I see what your saying,but Im not sure if Im getting the schools signal or whose Im getting.I live in San Jose,CA(the heart of Silicone Valley)and my house is surrounded by shopping centers,businesses,and actually there is a Starbuck about 20 yards from my house.So Im not totally sure whose signal it is.The school just happens to share my backyards fence.But I understand what your saying & I was completely unaware it was not legal.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:03 PM

When you search the wireless acess points does it have a name?

#5 saraveza408

saraveza408
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:28 PM

when I put my cursor over the computer icon on my task bar it says "wireless internet connection(enron2)"
& when I check wireless network connection properties under the wireless networks tab in the perfered networks window it says " ENRON2(Automatic)"yet it also says "unsecured wireless network"

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:27 PM

See what information you pull up at..
Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig /all

#7 saraveza408

saraveza408
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:13 PM

ok I pulled up the information......I couldnt figure out how to copy & paste the info. here though.....and is it safe to put that info on a public forum?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:10 PM

Upload it to your personal webspace your ISP gives you. Usually about 10mbs. The put the link in the page you post here, or use the insert image option when you write the post.

Edit/add-on: The webspace will usually be the same as the first part of your email address.

Example H##P://www.members.myISP.com/MyName/ScreenShot.jpg

NOTE: I replaced TT with ## so we would not have a bad link

Edited by acklan, 18 April 2006 - 09:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users