Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD at splash screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mnccbandguy

mnccbandguy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

I have been working on getting a Dell Precision 370 up and running and have had to canabilize another to get it up and running.

I thought I would use the hard drive out of a desktop I had retired years ago and knew it had xp on it.

unfortunately I am now getting a bsod with the following stop code shortly after the splash screen appears.

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (OxBA4C3524,OxC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I have tried booting into all different modes.

Please help me I would just reinstall windows but I dont have the disk to do so

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

This error can occur if the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware are incorrect or not installed. The PnP-ID information for the mass storage controllers that are in the computer must be in the registry before startup so that Windows XP can initialize the correct drivers.

When you install Windows, the installation routine builds the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) to match the underlying hardware it sees in the computer. This is why you usually cannot simply take any old hard drive with Windows on it and pop into any other old PC and expect it to work. More often than not, the underlying hardware is so different that you have to at least do a repair install so that Windows can attempt to alter the installed Operating System to match the installed hardware.

Edited by SpywareDoc, 07 July 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Hi

You can't just use a machines hard disk on another system as a boot drive unless both system have same motherboard. Different motherboards use different chipset and disk controllers. Windows need the exact same disk controller (as a minimum ) to successfully boot . You need to format and re-install Windows on the new machine.  

#4 mnccbandguy

mnccbandguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Is there any way to do a repair without a disk??

I believe the hard drive might have some data which might need to be saved. I would prefer to save what i can without  a fresh installation of windows. A repair install would have been the easiest route I believe but as I said above I dont have the disk to do so... I think the harddrive contains XP home and the computer has a XP pro key so i dont think the disk i plan on buying will work for repairing the current install.

Sorry for the oddball request and thanks for the help guys.
I saw another thread on this site which involved another dell with the same problem which was saved, but it was not a frankenputer like mine.

Here is the link

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405193/blue-screen-stop-0x0000007b-computer-wont-boot/

I tried the NTBR_USB program mentioned on the second page thinking it might be the same problem but could not get it to work when burned to DVD

is there a similar process i could follow to get this one fixed?

Thanks again

#5 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

1) It is possible to attach the hard drive to another computer's USB port via an inexpensive adapter (like this) and then use Windows Explorer to copy whatever files and folders you like off of the old drive.

2) If you can borrow a disk, you might try XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option

Edited by SpywareDoc, 07 July 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#6 mnccbandguy

mnccbandguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

unfortunately funds wont allow purchase of a $5 replacement disk or sata to usb adapter... (I know I shouldnt try to fix a computer unless there is extra money) I would like to have it up and going within the next couple of days even if I have to do it the way that seems impossible is there a way to use ubuntu to get at the HAL and other files that may be corrupt and attempt to fix them by replacing them with known good files?

Please understand my persistance... Im trying to get out from underneath a dying laptop running vista... at the earliest convenience.

Thanks for the suggestions

Edited by mnccbandguy, 07 July 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#7 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

You can't borrow a XP CD?

#8 mnccbandguy

mnccbandguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

nope everybody i know is already using windows 7 or xp pro and has lost the disk... Im in a big pickle until i can get funds rebuilt.

I have gone so far as to ask to borrow a hard drive with xp pro on it to make an attempt at makeing a bootable disk and try to fix the installation on the non working harddrive but that doesnt even sound like it would work.

Edited by mnccbandguy, 07 July 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#9 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

Good luck. I'm out.

#10 mnccbandguy

mnccbandguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Thanks SpywareDoc. I apreciate the suggestions offered and apologize for haveing to take the difficult approach.

If anyone else has any experience with this kind of scenario help would be greatly appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users