Lets see if it gets recognised when you install the drivers for it.
- If you go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add / Remove Programs and then uninstall any related drivers / software for the printer. Run through the uninstall wizard and reboot when asked(you can skip this if you haven't installed those in the past)
- Then go to http://www.brother.com/html/download/index.htm and click on Printers / Fax Machines / DCPs / Multi-functions under the right region. And click on the country you live in.
- Then on the search by model box enter MFC-5840cn then click on search. 1 result should pop up, click on that.
- Then go to Downloads -> Select your operating system under Step 1 which should be either Windows XP Home/Professional or Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
- Then under Step 2: select the language you want. And click on search at the bottom.
- Then under Full Driver & Software Package click on Download & Information and click on the download button.
- Then click on I Accept and save it on the desktop. Wait till it's done downloading, it can take a while depending on your internet connection.
- When it's done downloading make sure you are logged into a administrator account so you can install software and make a folder on the desktop. You can name it anything you want. Then double click on the exe file and click on run if a window pops up and set the path to the path of your folder you just made by using the browse button. Click on decrompress.
- Then double click on the folder you just made and open the Setup5840CN folder. Then open the folder with the language you want, like for example Eng for english.
- Then double click on the Setup.exe. It should provide onscreen instructions on what to do. Reboot when asked.
I can't test the Setup.exe here sadly enough since i don't have a xp machine along with this printer nearby. If you're unsure about something feel free to make a screenshot and post it here.
- When the drivers and software are installed go to Start -> Control Panel -> Devices and Printers and see if it's already in there. If it's in there try and see if it works. If it's not in there try adding a new network printer and see if it gets recognised. If it does add it and see if it works.
Edited by SillyMuppet, 08 July 2013 - 01:40 PM.