Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet slow, but fast in safe mode - reinstall Windows?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 teatime45

teatime45

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'm having a problem with my fairly new laptop where it seems to be using more Internet bandwidth than it should. In Safe Mode with networking, it works fine. I'm considering reinstalling Windows but wondering if that's the best option and if so, how to go about it.

My laptop runs Windows 7 and when it's in normal mode, connected our wireless Internet connection, it seems to slow the connection down considerably for the other two devices on the network (my phone and my flatmate's laptop). We've just been testing it in various combinations and the connection works normally when my laptop is off, but it also works fine and at a good speed when my laptop is in Safe Mode with networking. I'm not sure what's slowing it down - I have Norton and have run a scan as well as the Power Eraser tool, and neither of them picked up anything, but I'm concerned I might have a virus.

I'm not really sure what to do next, but I guess I might have to try reinstalling Windows. 

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions of what the problem might be - and if you think I should reinstall Windows, if you have any suggestions for guides to doing that. I haven't reinstalled Windows before, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing and was planning to just Google 'windows 7 reinstall' or what have you.

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

I would uninstall...then reinstall...the driver for the wireless LAN.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users