Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VirtualBox question(s)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

Morning everyone.

Just spent the last week installing and playing with VirtualBox.

I've got three Linux distros loaded on it - Ubuntu, OS4 and now Linux Mint.

I created the first two (Ubuntu and OS4) as VHDs and gave them each a couple gigs of RAM and they are okay, although I'm not impressed at all with the GUI of OS4.

Mint, surprisingly, created as a VDI and also given a couple of gigs of RAM runs *very fast* (seamless, I should say) and so that is most likely the one I will play with the most.

I had trouble loading Fedora, so I'm setting that aside for now.

As for now, here are a couple of questions that have been mulling over:

1) I've got all the .iso files saved locally, i.e. I'm not burning the distros to a CD/DVD and installing them into VirtualBox that way (browsing to them).  Are there any known issues with installing into a VM that way?

2) The reckless factor: okay, so I've got a Linux distro installed and I want to run out into the great big World Wide Web and do all the things I never do on my real machine - investigate peer-to-peer (never done it), play online games, stumble into chat rooms and IM people I don't know, etc.  I want to practice unsafe surfing because if I get attacked, suffer a drive by or someone hijacks my machine, it's only my virtual machine...right?    << -- is this true? How does that work? Would a virus, malware, etc work inside my virtual machine, would it see the Host? Would it be able to infect it?

If this post violates BC's rules, please remove it.

I'm not looking to be a trouble maker or encourage bad/unsafe behavior, I've just found a new (dangerous) toy and want to know "where will this thing take me?" and "how fast can I get there?"

Anyone out there play around with the VirtualBox? Got some scary stories to tell? Advice, feedback and or cautionary tales?

virtually yours,

Winterland

Edited by Al1000, 05 February 2017 - 12:40 PM.
Moved from All Other Applications

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

Yikes!

Just read this.

So, I guess I won't be out there stumbling around the 'Net like a drunk 15 year old with a gun in my hand.   :nono:

Well, at least not anytime soon.

However, I'm still looking for some real world stories, experiences, ideas for settings, etc.

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 with a decent CPU and 8 gigs of RAM, so I've got the resources to spare.

Thanks.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users