Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do MSE and AVG give adequate protection?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:27 AM

I recently looked through the recent infection help topics in the forum and made a note of which antivirus program the posters seemed to be using, presumably not having protected them from the malware they are asking for help with.

The results were:

11 running MSE

10 running AVG

3  running Norton

1  running McAfee

1  running Avast

There could be many reasons for these numbers, such as coincidence, or they are in proportion to the number of people using the programs, but it is interesting to see 2 such well known and popular avs so far ahead in this sample.   I would be interested to know whether any regular helpers think this agrees with their own impressions?

James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

I personally would never install Avg or MSE.

Avg is totally useless and it can cause internet issues as well.

Microsoft security essentials is  a joke IMO  Why you ask well it is made by microsoft and they are in the business of selling operating system's not keeping them running in good order so that you are likely to not purchase more of there product.

That would be like oil companies investing money for scientist to  develop gas  that that burns  at half the rate of the current gas.....

Why would they wanna make less money. :blink:

I  personally use Avast.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

Well James -

MSE is, and has been my free) choice for quite a few years now.

Apart from this debate, please re-check on the listed topics and see what other Antimalware programs are installed.

Antivirus is only one level of protection for your computer, and should be backed up with other programs also -

Thank You -

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

With the release of AVG 2011/2012, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read these related discussions:Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Until AVG has fully addressed these issues, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. Always remember that security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 L3DMaN

L3DMaN

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

Well I recommend AVG 

As you can see despite being free the program has everything you can ask of an antivirus. I've been using it a long time and is going very well and I am very happy with the results, having no problems with viruses since I have it.
Also when we have running the system performance is not diminished at any time, not consuming resources, except if we are scanning the system, then does a thorough scan of the entire system and like any antivirus consumes resources when it does . Besides its database is updated regularly lot, making it reliable for convatir the latest viruses that come out.

I recommend it for its good performance plus it is free.

#6 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

AV-Test.org > The Independant IT_Security Institute

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,077 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users