Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue And Green Folders And Files In Explore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brillo

brillo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:09 PM

Hi all,

What with the blue and green folder and file names in XP, not all of them, just here and there? i.e., folder $NtUninstallKB885836$ or file reg00001 File 52 KB. Others also come in green. Sorta cute. But what do the colors mean? Didn't find anything about this in XP help and support.

OK, served up an easy one, who's gonna hit it?

Thanks for responding,
Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:29 PM

Those look like protected operating system files and the reason you are even seeing them is because you changed the settings to allow you to see hidden files and folders - which are hidden for good reason - to prevent you from screwing them up.

The best thing you can do is to reset the settings back to default - which hides those files - unless you want to be reinstalling Windows in the near future.

#3 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:53 PM

I appreciate Enthusiast's concern for the welfare of my computer and for his valuable help in the past, but, first, my question as to why the folder/file names are blue or green was not answered, and second, I run a number of games, i.e., Flight Simulator 2004, that require access to otherwise hidden files to alter configurations and manage scenery, airport, aircraft, texture, etc., addons. So the suggestion to hide those files is not practical for me, I do take great care (backups) in opening and altering them however. Third, Enthusiast implied that only hidden files have blue or green names. It's true that the files I cited are normally hidden, however, "Local Disk ©:" has a blue name and I don't believe it is hidden under the default settings.

Perhaps this is a hint: "Local Disk ©:" and most other blue named folders/files I have found appear to contain files that are not on/no longer on the disk. They have been moved to an external drive or are otherwise no longer present/not present in their entirety at the specified location on the C drive. I don't know if this is correct or even what it means if it is correct, and I still don't have any clue about the green named folders/files.

My original question "Why are some folders/files named in blue or green?" has yet to be answered. I remain curious. Doesn't anyone else have blue or green named files/folders and know why they are that way? BTW, this is a new system, XP MCE sp2, directly from Dell 2 months ago. Fle system is somewhat altered from OEM since then, but blue/green file names appeared, or I noticed them, not long after first startup.

Thanks for a prompt response.

#4 PurpleSky

PurpleSky

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:12 PM

I believe when you were doing a maintanence ( disk clean up most likely ) on your system you compressed some files and folders. Compressed folders and files will look blue or gren. If you see a local disk blue in "my computer" then its a different story.

#5 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 03:50 PM

Thanks PurpleSky,

As you said, disk cleanup/compressing doesn't explain a blue "Local Disk C:" Also, I have compressed files/folders that are not blue/green. and drives E, F, G, H, aren't blue/green and they contain a lot of compressed folders/files, some of which are blue/green, some not. Maybe compression is part of the answer, but there must be more to it. Sometimes D drive has blue named files/folders as well, that's the CD/DVD drive.

Thanks for a prompt response.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:24 PM

Not sure about the green, but when you install a service pack, Windows offers the option to uninstall it. The ntuninstall folders are there to let you revert back if you have a problem. You will also find similar files in Add/Remove Programs if you have installed SP2 and have checked the box for showing hotfixes at the top. Unchecking it hides them - too many people were complaining about hotfixes filling up their Add/Remove Programs list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users