Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My wife has lost admin priviledges

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 provocateur

provocateur

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

My wife's PC (Win 7 Pro SP1) started and did a disk check.  After nearly 1 hour of replacing security attributes on the entire drive, she called me and asked what was going on.  I pulled the plug and restarted the PC.  Now I can't access anything on the computer.  All the programs give an error message that the permissions don't allow the program to be run.

I have tried to activate the Admin logon, but the command prompt won't run, Trying to run the Local Users and Groups from the command box does not work (the cursor stays in the box after enter and does nothing).

I have tried to restore a previous point, but permissions won't allow hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys to restore.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks, Barry Eslick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:48 AM

http://www.howtogeek.com/75470/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-7-admin-account-using-the-registry/

#3 provocateur

provocateur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

I followed the instructions on the link you supplied, but the following appears when I try to save "test": Cannot load X:\Windows\system32\config\SAM: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. OK.

Is there another way to sort out creating a visible "Administrator" user?

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Try a system restore with the disk.

#5 provocateur

provocateur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

I tried but: I have tried to restore a previous point, but permissions won't allow hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys to restore.  And the restore fails.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

You got your disk perform a repair install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

#7 provocateur

provocateur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

I tried each and every cure, but to no avail.  Mu original disk would not work as I had installed SP1 and the repair reported that the disk was not the same version.  After downloading three differing versions from Digital River, I gave up as each one reported that the version was incorrect.

I then downloaded the 64bit version with SP1 and re-installed Windows (Pro) with SP1.

The PC is now running well and much quicker as it can used the 6gb of RAM installed.

Thanks for the help. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users