Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favorite password manager?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Password Manager (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite password manager? (If your favorite is not shown, please post)

1. Roboform (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. KeePass (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Dashlane (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. 1Password (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. LastPass (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

6. PasswordBox (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Deleted

Deleted

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

What is your favorite password manager? Is Dashlane a good choice?

Edited by Deleted, 07 July 2013 - 02:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

Never heard of it. But thanks to Grinler's recommendation I use an open source manager KeePass Password Safe.

More info here: http://keepass.info/

I have it synced between my desktop, laptop, tablet and phone.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Never heard of it. But thanks to Grinler's recommendation I use an open source manager KeePass Password Safe.

More info here: http://keepass.info/

I have it synced between my desktop, laptop, tablet and phone.

I'm currently using KeePass :thumbup2:

Although, the reason why I want to switch it because:

-It's apps are not made by KeePass so you cannot guarantee security

-It's annoying to have to plug in and unplug a USB stick (Dashlane has 2 factor authentication via Google Authenticator)

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Just a question. And you can guarantee security with Dashlane how? As compared to the inability to do so as you say with KeePass?

I ask so that I can understand that comment you made. I'm not disagreeing or arguing. I am curious how you came up with that information.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Just a question. And you can guarantee security with Dashlane how? As compared to the inability to do so as you say with KeePass?

I ask so that I can understand that comment you made. I'm not disagreeing or arguing. I am curious how you came up with that information.

The apps for Dashlane are made by Dashlane while KeePass apps are not made by KeePass.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Me personally, I would rather trust open source than a private for profit company who's bottom line is their main focus.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Me personally, I would rather trust open source than a private for profit company who's bottom line is their main focus.

Thank you for the suggestion.

#8 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

I use the LastPass extension on Firefox to keep track of commonly used passwords. I spend a lot of time online and it gets ridiculous to remember every single login, so it's auto feature gets my vote.  :thumbsup:  It doesn't seem to have an offline vault, which disappoints me, so I've been using a version of KeePass as one. I should probably get the most recent version soon. I've tried the KeePass Firefox plugin and it never worked for me. <_<

Edited by bitesized1612, 07 July 2013 - 05:03 PM.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#9 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

I use the LastPass extension on Firefox to keep track of commonly used passwords. I spend a lot of time online and it gets ridiculous to remember every single login, so it's auto feature gets my vote.  :thumbsup:  It doesn't seem to have an offline vault, which disappoints me, so I've been using a version of KeePass as one. I should probably get the most recent version soon. I've tried the KeePass Firefox plugin and it never worked for me. <_<

Has your vault ever been breached? I'm still concerned about how they got breached once.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

I use 1Password.

#11 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

I use 1Password.

Are you a windows user?

#12 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

Are you aware of the LastPass breach that happened a while ago? Do you know what steps they took to prevent further breaches?

#13 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Deleted- I just looked it up and they partnered with a site called PwnedList to create LastPass Sentry to detect future breaches. You do a thing call a Security Challenge in your vault to check how strong/weak your passwords are, even your master password. 

I don't think I had a vault at the time? Maybe got one right after? So my security check was clean but I'm definitely going keep an eye on it and change some passwords.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

I use 1Password.

Are you a windows user?

Yes, but I admit that I have not really use it on my Windows machine yet as I mainly use my Macs. I do have a license for it for my Windows computers, but just have not really used it much on them.

#15 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:44 AM

I have only 5 passwwords sets so just put in 1 by 1 if I not sure.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users