Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Page Changed. Computer Is Slower. What Did I Do??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 t1pnon

t1pnon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi,

Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing and able to guide me through a possible virus. As the title states, my computer has begun acting strangely and I fear it is infected.

Normally, my start up page is Google, when I use my Chrome browser, however, after searching and downloading a movie, things began to get weird. My computer is acting generally slow, and suddenly my start up browser has changed to Yahoo. I fear these are signs of a virus and I would like to take care of this situation before things get worse.

I am fairly inexperienced with virus removal, and I am not sure how to best approach such a vague situation. I ran a Trend Micro Titanium    internet Security, but no threats appeared. I would like to go for a general thorough examination of my computer.

I am using a Windows 8 Operating system.

Thank you again. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

You may have installed the Yahoo Toolbar without knowing it or accidentially changed your startup page without realizing it.

Many toolbars, Add-ons, screensavers, and weather monitoring programs come bundled with other software (often without the knowledge of the user) and can be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware/browser hijacking. Even if advised of a toolbar or Add-on, many folks do not know that it is optional and NOT necessary to install in order to operate the program. Toolbars and Add-ons can usually be removed via Add/Remove Programs or the Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7/8, so always check there first.

If the program is not listed in Add/Remove or Programs and Features, the next place to check is your browser Add-ons.
- How to Disable Addons, Extensions or Plugins in Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer
- How to Disable Add-ons/Extensions in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome

To set or reset Google Chrome's Home Page, please refer to How to set the home page in Google Chrome

To restore the default settings in Google Chrome, please refer to: Reset Default Page Settings in Google Chrome
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users