Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashes Caused By Unkown Device Driver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LazyVampire

LazyVampire

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:53 PM

My PC has started shutting down , well the screen goes black and I have to switch off then back on. When it reboots I get the error message that the system has recovered from a serious error and the Microsoft OAC tells me its caused by an unknown device driver. No solution availabe.

In device manager there is no yellow ? Ive gone thru all my drivers to check for updates and tried without success to find out exactly what driver is causing the problem. The microsoft troubleshooter on minidumps etc is as clear as mud to me.

I have run the following. Ewido, Spyware doctor, Spybot, Bazooka, Blacklight, Hijackthis and apart from a few cookies nothing was found.

The only thing that seemed to work was doing a system restore and the latest restore point mentioned something about Software Distribution T-Online ???? The only changes made recently were some updates so I assume this was one of them, I got nowhere with google on the subject.

Problem solved !! well it was for 3 days then it did it again. And it also bleeped twice in those three days. My pc has never done that before.

The shutdowns happen both when online and when in folders etc.

Help?

I run my XP firewall, Nod32, regularly use Spybot and immunise with Spyware Blaster and every so often run a full system scan with Spyware doctor. I also regularly run CCleaner and Reg Seeker.

Ive just remember one thing I did that may be relevant , maybe not but I was fed up with the flyout program list being so big and full of programs I dont use very oftem I deleted them from the list but I thought it was just shortcuts to these programs and it was safe to do so.

Sorry for such a long post and hope I havent missed anything out.

TIA for any help

LV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:35 PM

T-Online is a DSL broadband company, video, software and games distributor. http://www.t-online.de/international/press...ebit2006-en.pdf

#3 LazyVampire

LazyVampire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

Is this in any way connected with MS updates cause I dont recognise it and am with NTL.

its getting now its just one problem after another and every time I reboot it runs check disk and a different thing gets mentioned despite no changes being made.

Thanks
LV

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:08 PM

You're sure the thing isn't set to hibernate? Check your power controls if you aren't sure. (If it's hibernating and/or turning off the monitor, and you're restarting it, you could be doing damage . . .)

But this:

I reboot it runs check disk and a different thing gets mentioned despite no changes being made.

. . . makes me wonder if you aren't having some hard disk sectors failing. Have you run a full checkdisk on it? (Run it to check the disk's surface.)

If it is a bad or unsigned driver, you might have to check through your drivers.

#5 LazyVampire

LazyVampire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:42 AM

It only hibernates if no mouse activity after 15mins then the monitor goes off but this problem isnt that regular and when it hibernates any mouse movement brings my desktop back up.

Ive had a "bad block" error a few times and it tells me to check cables etc, which I hadnt yet got round to, (have now tho)

Since posting I have cleaned out inside case (fan was very clogged with dust :thumbsup: ), taken out and put back in all connections securely. I also uninstalled all HP stuff as I no longer use printer/scanner. And used a laser disk cleaner.

I have several times gone into device manager and gone thru my drivers checked for unsigned and checked for update drivers without finding anything out of place or any updates.

I uninstalled a device Realtek AC 97 Media audio control that I installed by mistake thinking it was a driver update, because (a) I dont use AC 97 because of compatibility issues I had when installing XP, (:flowers: I have a soundblaster card. the AC 97 has been a disabled Device for over a year anyway.

Any chance this is connected to a Rootkit virus file that was removed? i386p.sys. I can find info saying that yes its a rootkit but I knew that back in December, but nowhere mentions if removal can cause problems.

Its all starting to confuse me and Im forgetting half of what Ive done to try and fix this. Sorry but to a person with no education in this area its very overwhelming.

Oh and yes I have run full disk checks I even popped in my XP disc and ran SFC too. The results of the disk check are supposed to be saved in the root as bootex.log Ive never yet been able to find that file.

thanks

LV

#6 LazyVampire

LazyVampire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:22 AM

I was checking using the sigverif thing and found two files it couldnt scan cause they were in use and when I checked them they have no info except the date 03/22/2006 I have no idea what they are so started snooping in log files and in windows update log scrolled to that date and there is a lot of activity and then it goes into gobbledy gook and mentions nero then goes back to a lot of update stuff, I cant really make head nor tale of it.

Can anyone else.??

ops I dont know how to attach a file and its a bit long to post so I uploaded it to yousendit.

http://s61.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1WB0FRJ...L42393RQBER87KJ

two files in my drivers folder that couldnt be scanned are.. sptd4557.sys and sptd.sys

Thanks

LV

Edited by LazyVampire, 22 April 2006 - 01:24 AM.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:10 AM

Quoting a part of your original post

I just remember one thing I did that may be relevant , maybe not but I was fed up with the flyout program list being so big and full of programs I donít use very often I deleted them from the list but I thought it was just shortcuts to these programs and it was safe to do so.

The question I have is. What is the flyout program?

Is this the part of All Programs that expands out from the left side of the screen to the right side that shows all of the program directories etc?

If it is you have a lot of work to do if you just went and DELETED all or any of what was there. This is more than likely what caused your problem.

In my opinion it would be quicker to back up all of your important data and reinstall Windows, but if you need help with this I would seek on site help with your computer by a person who you know that is good with a computer.

#8 LazyVampire

LazyVampire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:15 AM

I cant burn anything so cant back anything up.

Yes thats the "flyout" but I didnt just go and delete everything from there I went into to the program folder and deleted some shortcuts for programs that I installed and was no longer using. I didnt actually delete any programs.

If I knew someone who was good with computers I doubt Id be in this dilemma.

thanks anyway

LV

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

Bootex.log is associated with chkdsk, not SFC. I am unaware of any SFC log. However, you can go to System Information, and from the View tab, select System History.

Are you using Daemon Tools?

#10 LazyVampire

LazyVampire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:49 PM

I know bootex log is check disk , I ran the check disk several times and have never found bootex.log.

Yes I did use daemon tools at some point but uninstalled probably around that date. Is that what these files are? Why would they be in use? If the program has been uninstalled?

I had suspicions that uninstalling daemon tools was causing problems and totally forget all about it, me and my awful memory.

You reckon its behind these problems ? If so what next?

Thank you so much

LV

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:15 PM

This program seems to have caused havoc on a number of machines, and there seem to be a lot of opinions on how to solve the problems it causes. There was mention in some fixes of simply re-installing from scratch.

Hopefully, this won't get that far. Check your MSCONFIG startup for a "daemon" entry. Uncheck it if it's there. Then restart and try to find the files sptd4557.sys and sptd.sys in your C:\Windows\System32 directory and delete them. If you can't, then restart in Safe Mode and do it.

Before you do, check the advice at these sites:

PC Pitstop

Techspot

(The one above mentions an "extra drive" in device manager.)

VMTN

(The one above mentions how to remove before installing VM-Ware, but ignore the install part.)

#12 LazyVampire

LazyVampire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

I checked those links and some as you said werent relevant to me but I followed the advice and deleted the two files in safe mode.

Hopefully it will have done the trick , I wont know until I try to burn something with Nero.Im almost scared to say it ,but I havent had any shutdowns the past couple of days.

I hate having things on my PC that belong to software no longer installed.

I have learned a couple of things thru this, it would be handy if I could remember them for future reference lol.

Have to now just see how it goes.

Thank you very much for your help, Its very much appreciated.

Ive got a yellow question mark in device manager now because of this Realtek AC 97 but until it causes a problem Im going to ignore it, I know what I did to cause it but dont want to create problems by trying to fix it.

fingers crossed and thanks again.

LV

Edited by LazyVampire, 22 April 2006 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users