Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

putting Lubuntu PPC 12.10 on a Powermac G4 Gigabit?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

I have a 13yo 400 Mhz Powermac G4 Gigabit Ethernet (exact specs linked here) that my father and I want to refurbish for a customer. It currently runs OSX.3.9 Panther  which would be a pain in the wallet to upgrade to Tiger or Leopard and might not even work given the age of the machine. We want to see if we can get Linux to either dual-boot or replace the original OS and if that fails we might sell it for parts.

The main issue is trying to get it to recognize either the .iso files burned on a CD-R or the LIve USB stick I created for Lubuntu 12.10. I managed to work out how to boot another device via Open Firmware (press Command + Option + O + F as it boots for the prompt) but when it read my Live USB it said "load-size too small". I think this means that I need to find a Mac based program to clone my stick so it'll recognize the file system or I need to create a HD partition and install my distro that way? Which I'm not sure how I'm going to do that. I can't seem to find specfic advice for my problem. A lot of people seem to be able to easily convert Powerbooks into Linux machines but not 30lbs towers. Some help?

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

I installed linux on both a G4 and a G3. All I did was burn the iso to CD. Make sure you're burning it as an image, NOT data.

The ones I originally installed were old installer-only (no live versions). An old Madrake, later Mandriva, now defunct. I had trouble with one particular partition (I forget what it was called now). I found I needed it to get it to boot, but I never could find out what the size or type was. I remember I ended up installing Debian and telling it to wipe the whole disk. It created the partition. I forget the type, but it was exactly 1MB in size. (Anything larger and it would fail to boot.)

I'm pretty sure Ubuntu can create that without trouble if it's told to use the whole disk since I later installed Ubuntu and (if memory serves) told it to wipe everything and start over.

#3 bitesized1612

bitesized1612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Did you have specific instructions that you followed or did you arrive at the solution via trial-and-error?

Thanks for replying!

Edited by bitesized1612, 11 July 2013 - 08:22 PM.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

It was trial and error. Except that the PPC Debian was what did the partitioning for me. I just told it to use the whole disk and it set it up. After that I could use anything I wanted so long as I left that one 1M partition where it was. Mandrake was a mess trying to get it on the PPC anyway (had to redetect USB every time I moved from one step to another). But I installed that OK after that partition was already in place.

When I installed Ubuntu I'm almost certain I told it to wipe it all again, too, and it created the same partition. My memory may be flawed, though. I might have done it manually so that single partition would stay. It's been several years now (at least 8 of them). It was an old version at the time as that's all I could find. But once I installed it, it offered to do in-place upgrades all the way to what was current at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users