Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Gateway Keyboard,

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:55 PM

I just got a new Gateway PC and everything is reallt awesome except the keyboard, Ihave to hit the space bar really hard for it to enter a spaceand it's driving me crazy. Does anyone know if it's possible to fix this, or tweak it somehow to make it more sensitive? See all the run onwords? Thats what it does and its makingme CRAZY.

I suppose I could send itback, I bought it online and would rather just fix it if its possible, the replacement might not be anybetter anyway.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:35 PM

I have 2 suggestions WitsEnd

1. Is it sticking or feel harder to depress. I may need to be removed and cleaned. Perhaps there is a pice of foreign matter under the key. It should pop off. Take note with that key,as there is a shaped wire undrneath that needs to go back in it's original position.

2. Go to START> HELP, type FILTER KEYS
You may be able to adjust it under Settings.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 WitsEnd

WitsEnd
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for the thought. I tried the filter keys and that didn't help. I haven't taken the keyboard apartyet that is thenext thing to try I guess. It doesn't feel like anything is sticking or interfering with the spacebar, it's just not sensitive enough, I really have to hit it hard and then sometimes it inserts 2 spaces, this keyboard sucks.

This is metyping the k and space at normal typing pressure:

k k kkkkkkk k kkk kkkkkkkk k k kkkkkkkk kk kkkkk kkk

Seewhat I mean, it sucks! It doesn't seem to matter where on the bar I hit either.

Thanks for the help!

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:30 AM

With little things like keyboards, mice, cables etc., companies like Dell and HP are usually good about just sending out a new one if it's under warranty and not making the customer send back the original. Call them to see if they can ship you a new one, and you should (hopefully) have it within a weeks time, and not have to pay shipping to send the original one back.

Most typically, when something on a keyboard isn't working right, then that's it, it's ready for the scrap pile :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

If after inspecting it, I guess you need to replace it. You can always go buy one, then send that one back or the option stevealmighty suggested. Then you'll always have a spare. I keep a spare keyboard,mouse and power supply (for my laptop) as it a real pain to wait for them.

Edited by boopme, 18 April 2006 - 06:08 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 WitsEnd

WitsEnd
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:13 AM

I contacted Gateway via chat and described the problem hoping that they would say it needs replacing or something and he gave me a song and dance about needing to reload the drivers. I said never mind and just took the spacebar off, (I didn't know they just popped off) and I could see the problem, the little 'rubber button' on the circut board was out of alignment with the 'bump' on the underside of the space bar that pushes the rubber button.

So I stuck a thin slice of pencil eraser on the end of the bump and voila' no more run on words. The space bar is perfect now.

Damn I'm good! Drivers? What an idiot!

Thanks for the input, but apparntly I was over reacting to a simple fix.

Thanks!

Edited by WitsEnd, 19 April 2006 - 12:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users