Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start ??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gmull

gmull

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

sometime last night the power flickered enough for all computers to shut down, 2 of them have no issues, but when I tried to turn my sons on the power light comes on and stays on (no flickering)and sounds like the hard drive is going a little fast. I have unplugged it the first time for 10/15 secs - no good then left in unplugged while ran some errands, tried it again and get the same..Monitor comes on and says "no signal", checked the monitor(works fine) Any ideas of what I can do would greatly be appreciated!!!!!! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

The power flickering is not a good sign. A power spike or surge may have damaged that particular computer. The fact that the monitor error message is "no signal" indicates no output from the computer video card is being received. The behavior you are describing tends to be symptomatic of a computer damaged by a power surge. This can happen even if the PC is on a surge protector, especially if it's an old surge protector.

You can open the computer (make sure it's not plugged in) and check the capacitors on the motherboard. If the ends of the capacitors looked tented, or puffed out, or look like they're leaking, that would largely confirm it. The capacitors will by cylindrical and sticking up from the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users