Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inept College Student Needing Advice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kathryn

Kathryn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:43 PM

Hello everyone. I am currently a college student in need of a new computer. The only problem is that I have no idea what to look for in a good computer. I need all the programs for processing (word, excel, powerpoint, etc), but would also like a CD burner and DVD burner. I am looking to spend no more than 1500. If anyone could give me any suggestions for good brands or even examples of computers (preferably laptops) that would be acceptable, I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you so much, Kat!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:49 PM

I have had very good luck with Dell. You can buy one niffty computer with $1500. Spending that kind of money be sure and get atleast 1 gb of RAM.
The pruiest will say build your own. That is a go route too, if you have the time.
You should look into Open Office 2.0 instead of MS office.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:07 PM

In the Laptop Division I like the A7-S712 ..... Add $80 for extra 512 Ram = 1 Gig

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.t...HHO&coid=-30606

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/pr...cra_A7-S712.pdf

Btw welcome to BC
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:29 PM

Laptop or Tower? If Tower, do you already have a monitor, etc.?
You should be able to get a good computer for under that price.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:10 AM

Now that John menitioned it, upgrade to the flat panel if you go with the Dell.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:02 PM

Also about the suggestiong for OpenOffice. You will save yourself 350 bucks and you even get some extra features. OpenOffice is completely free.

I love those Dell laptops and you can get some nice machines for 1500$ If I were you I would go with the [url=http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/entnb_e1705?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs]Inspiron E1705[url] probably the Ultimate productivity version.

All the versions of this laptop come with Microsoft Word..., free 1gig upgarde and the Ultimate productivity versions comes with a 60gig hardrive (at worst just get an external usb hardrive) and they have those new duo processors.

Edited by Klinkaroo, 18 April 2006 - 12:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users