Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP x64

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jazzwineman

jazzwineman

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

What can you not set Combofix to run on a windows xp x64? I am well aware of the code being in a base of Windows Server 2003, but other programs can make the distiction why can't you? Just a suggestion and would be a great help.

Tom in Dallas

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

The main reason why subs chose to do that, was because 64bit xp windows was microsofts first venture into the 64bit world. Before that, everything microsoft had produced had either been 16bit (MS-DOS) or 32bit (3.1 to 2000 and 32bit xp.) While Linux had been using 64bit architecture for a few years before windows xp 64 came along, windows vista really started the successful path to 64bit windows which now windows 7 and 8 have shown that you can now seamlessly run 64bit software with 32 with no trouble and without thinking about it. Why subs (the creator of combofix) chose not to actively support 64bit windows xp? Probably because the number of still actively used installations of 64bit xp is way lower than 32bit installs of xp. At the time, around 2003 or 2004 when windows xp started to hit its peak of populairity 64bit exclusive hardware was
1.) hard to come by
2.) expensive
3.) driver support for 32bit hardware and software on 64bit xp was horrible
4.) not many "64bit ready" systems were being sold at the time, I don't even know if a P4 supports 64bit. I know that a core 2duo does, but those came out in 2006 and cost about $390 so it would be foolish at the time to invest in building a system for an OS that was cut short (only 2 service packs) and support was cut short. Windows xp 64 died when support for service pack 2 died, which was around 2010.
Edited: Because my iPad hates me and wants to make me look like a fool.

Edited by Zestypanda, 06 July 2013 - 03:10 PM.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

64-bit XP is basically a Server 2003 OS. CF does not run on Servers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 jazzwineman

jazzwineman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

64-bit XP is basically a Server 2003 OS. CF does not run on Servers.

I understand the underlying code, but it is still picked up as a different system It is not a major issue. I manage about 3500 computers and have a variety of OS's and Server versions that it does come into play. For a  quick example, someone had installed 2003 SBS (urgh!!)  before I became involved. The new Autocad machines needed all the power and ram they could get. However hooking Win 732 or 64 (but 64 was what I needed here is a huge headache in 2003 SBS and it did not make sense to do all the nonsense that Microsoft forces on you. So XP x64 was the next best bet. It is a compliments to your group that I asked as your product is more useful than the combination of many others. That is all- no real criticism, although the version 12.1.3 of Symantec management Console sees it as XP x64as well as the new Cpuid!

Tom in Dallas

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

I understand your frustration but please don't take my reply personal. Most Servers are seen in business/corporate environments. The developer of Combofix did not intend for his tool to be used in a business/corporate environment. Per the disclaimer...it was intended for non-commercial purposes only. The unique configuration of systems on a network vary from company to company and running ComboFix can cause unpredictable results. The developer works alone and does not have the time to keep tweaking CF so it works as intended for such environments.

#6 jazzwineman

jazzwineman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

I understand your frustration but please don't take my reply personal. Most Servers are seen in business/corporate environments. The developer of Combofix did not intend for his tool to be used in a business/corporate environment. Per the disclaimer...it was intended for non-commercial purposes only. The unique configuration of systems on a network vary from company to company and running ComboFix can cause unpredictable results. The developer works alone and does not have the time to keep tweaking CF so it works as intended for such environments.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No frustration here. Just a question with an implied compliment. My assumption is that your program reads he OS and has a false/positive for operating systems (simplistic way of saying this)- just curious if you have ever played with what happens on a server when you run Combofix?

Just another little item and has nothing to do with your programming, but Adaware on xp X64 will show running and take about 13% of resources, but never show any GUI or anything on the screen to go further. Adjustment of compatibility ect- does not work either. Just a interesting notation.

Thanks

Tom

Edited by jazzwineman, 06 July 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

sUBs, the developer of ComboFix, has asked that the specific inner workings of the tool not be discussed in public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers.

Safeguarding ComboFix from malware writers is necessary and important so that we can continue to use it without attackers having knowledge how to defeat it. Everything we discuss can be read by the bad guys. Yes, they read forum topics looking for clues on how to circumvent our tools. We don't want to provide any information they can use against us so we deliberately limit discussion in public areas which sometimes may appear vague or not fully address a specific question.

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Ad-Aware (or Spybot) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a pick some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it cant stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

Ad-Aware has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling and pre-checking Google Chrome during the installation. Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users