Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No boot device available

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kmad61

kmad61

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

Have a dell desktop about 4 years old,Vista op system and 2 megs of ram.

The hdd failed and I replaced it with a new Hitachi drive.

When I boot the pc I get (no boot device available).

Hitachi drive and cd drive is showing in the bios and the cd drive is first boot with hdd second.

I need to reload vista and get this pc running.

I would appreciate a little help !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

I assume that you mean 2 Gig of RAM, as 2 Meg would be utterly inadequate. Re your new HDD, did you format the drive ? Are you getting "No Boot Device Available" even when your Windows disk is in the CDROM drive ?

#3 kmad61

kmad61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

2 gig of ram,have not formatted the drive and getting no boot device available with windows vista disc in drive.

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

K, Question : Was your old HDD SATA or IDE ? Also, is your CDROM SATA or IDE ? Because if your old HDD was IDE it probably would have been set as "Master" and the CDROM if IDE, would have been set as "Slave".

One thing I have found is if both drives on an IDE cable are set the same, i.e. either "Master" or "Slave", then the computer won't recognize them.

Things to check : 1) check the "Master' "Slave" setting for all IDE devices in the machine. 2) Check and make sure that all the cables for said devices are properly plugged in. This because sometimes the plugs don't seat properly, and you get problems on account of that. 3) This is particularly true of SATA devices, because SATA cables are fairly stiff, but they don't plugin very firmly, so if there is a BEND in the cable near where it plugs in, they tend to UNPLUG themselves.

If that proves to be the problem, what I have done for a friend of mine, is work a bend into the cable, where it has to bend, so as to have it accept that shape, so it doesn't UNPLUG itself.

Hope that helps.

Edited by JHMcG, 06 July 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

It might be a waste trying to mess with the HD at this point.  The main thing is to try to get it to boot from the OS disk in the CD/DVD drive. 

Vista was on DVD, are you trying to boot that in a CD drive?  Had to ask, sorry. 

Doublesure CD/DVD is the primary boot device?  Any other message besides "no boot device available".

Is the disk clean, and in good shape.  No major scratches or gunk stuck on it?

Edited by dpunisher, 06 July 2013 - 02:40 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 kmad61

kmad61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hitachi hdd is new and recognized in bios.

Both hdd and cd drive are sata

All plugs have been checked twice.

cd is first bootable.

vista disc is in cd drive.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

OK.   Is it a CD or DVD drive?  Vista to my knowledge is on a DVD.  I have seen more than one person trying to install an OS DVD with a CD drive.  It no work.

Is the OS disk readable in another drive?  Do you have any other OS disk around that you can boot your system on? 

If you can, you might burn a Linux ISO on a DVD just to test your drive if another  OS disk is not available.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 kmad61

kmad61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

It is a dvd drive.I put my xp pro disc in and it went to windows setup fine.

the only problem is that I need vista on this pc.

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Ok, if it boots off the XP CD, then either the DVD pickup is toast, or the VISTA DVD disk itself is bad.  If the Vista disk is readable in another system, I would suspect a faulty DVD player.

Little fuzzy on this, but is that an actual VISTA OS disk you have, or is it some sort of restore disk that direct boots to the restore partition on the former hard drive?  A real Vista OS disk is around 2-3 gigs depending on OEM/retail/version.  If the current disk you are trying to boot with only has a few meg of files on it, it may not even be a legit install disk.  Something to check.

If it is a real OS disk, then you might have a faulty DVD player.

#10 kmad61

kmad61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Its a vista os disc. I will check the dvd drive.

#11 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

One other thing worth checking is go into the bios and see if :

"SATA AHCI MODE" is set to enabled and "SATA NATIVE MODE" is set to disabled. That is because Vista supports SATA drives and XP does NOT support SATA drives, which is why you have to set it as "SATA NATIVE MODE" to run XP. So if XP is working alright, and Vista is not, then those settings might be wrong.

#12 kmad61

kmad61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users