Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC powers up and down before starting up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NamelessUser

NamelessUser

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hi!

When i try to turn on my PC it will almost immediately power down again and after about 2 sek it will power on again and it can repeat this process about three times in a row before it actually starts (without me pushing the power button again and again). After that it will give me a message:

All settings were reset to default values.

The previous overclock settings have failed, system has been restored to its default settings.
Press F1 to run setup.
Press F2 to load default values and run setup.

Sometimes this message comes up even without this powering up and down thing.

I have tried to push both F1 and F2 and it gets me to BIOS. I haven´t changed anything in BIOS, because i don´t feel comfortable changing there anything without proper guidance.

This problem doesn´t happen every time i power on my computer, but occasionally and sometimes the same thing with powering on and off happens when i try to wake my PC from hibernation and then it gives me some kind of error message which i don´t remember to post here right now.

One more thing: Since i bought my computer it beeped once on every startup. I read somewhere that with AMI based BIOS (which i have) it means that there has been a memory refresh timer error. So i don´t know is it related or not and should i deal with it and how?

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

System Manufacturer: MSI

System Model: MS-7758

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V2.1

Your help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

I will hold you to that as my post will most likely not be too helpful.

CMOS battery happy?  If BIOS clock is correct, then it is OK. 

Usually a board will remember the BIOS settings and boot OK after the boot-stop-reboot loop.  It wouldn't hurt to look through the BIOS settings and verify CPU speed/ voltage and RAM speed/voltage are at default.  Just make sure you're not trying to run XMP speeds at below spec voltage etc.  

Try booting with only one stick of memory, swap sticks to rule out memory.  If it still acts up running on one stick, I wouldn't be adverse to bumping mem voltage .1V to see if that changes anything.  After that, bump CPU voltage .05V at first to see if anything changes. 

Sometimes this stuff is hard to figure.  Memory, motherboard, battery and CPU can all cause it.  Process of elimination.

EDIT:  You might try turning off CPU power saving features in BIOS temporarily.  Sometimes the voltage jumping around can cause instability.  Just an afterthought.

Edited by dpunisher, 06 July 2013 - 06:01 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 FeliceErrdeghar2

FeliceErrdeghar2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'm going through the same issue as OP. Husband built me a desktop. Desktop goes on like an angel for some months, well less than a year. Desktop flips sh*t and decides to pull the stunt that OP is going through. We went through the basic bru-ha-ha with checking the ram, swapping hard disks, checking fans, yadda yadda. All signs pointed to the motherboard (Asus, go figure). So I send out my Rampage Gene III for a RMA and after some time, we get back another RG3 with hard to understand paperwork stating whatever the issue was or what was done or whatever they thought the verdict was (don't ask me to locate the document, it's been MONTHS). I left the desktop alone for some months as by then I was completely sick of it. That was in about February. Now, here we are, and I just decided to get this bad boy up and running t the very end of June. Yes, this June that just left us. Today, the issues started all over again, out of the blue. I'm tired of this and want this over with. I'd give you a spec read off of my desktop but I can't even get it to behave long enough for me to tell it hello, much less get the specs or run any downloadable tests. 

Long story short: HELP!

[Edit] Re-tested my RAM chips and got results from one out of three Corsair Dominator DDR3 (12GB). Desktop started up as if nothing was wrong.  <_< Let's see how long I can go without screaming at it.

Edited by FeliceErrdeghar2, 06 July 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#4 NamelessUser

NamelessUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

I will hold you to that as my post will most likely not be too helpful.

CMOS battery happy?  If BIOS clock is correct, then it is OK. 

Usually a board will remember the BIOS settings and boot OK after the boot-stop-reboot loop.  It wouldn't hurt to look through the BIOS settings and verify CPU speed/ voltage and RAM speed/voltage are at default.  Just make sure you're not trying to run XMP speeds at below spec voltage etc.  

Try booting with only one stick of memory, swap sticks to rule out memory.  If it still acts up running on one stick, I wouldn't be adverse to bumping mem voltage .1V to see if that changes anything.  After that, bump CPU voltage .05V at first to see if anything changes. 

Sometimes this stuff is hard to figure.  Memory, motherboard, battery and CPU can all cause it.  Process of elimination.

EDIT:  You might try turning off CPU power saving features in BIOS temporarily.  Sometimes the voltage jumping around can cause instability.  Just an afterthought.

Basically I understand some things you said, but i think I can´t manage to check all of those things myself. Not just that comfortable around hardware and BIOS settings. My computer is still under warrany so maybe I´ll take it to maintnance and explain my problem to them and let professionals to deal with it.

Still one question remains: This one beep on startup, is it something I should deal with as well, because I had it since i bought the thing? Read that with AMI BIOS it means that there has been a memory refresh timer error.

I still appreciate your help. because now i know that I probably can´t fix it myself. :)

#5 admiralawesome

admiralawesome

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

You may also want to check the power supply of the tower. It could be going bad and providing fluctuations/too little power to internal components. Though unfortunately, the only way to do that is to replace the current power supply with a known working unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users