Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open Items with a Single Click

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:34 AM

Instead of double  clicking every item, Windows makes it easy to convert to a single click.

Just :-

Control Panel>Folder Options>General>Click items as follows>Select single click>Apply>OK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

I do know that this works good, since I have used on my last few XP computers.

Even my Windows 7 was set this way the day after I got it, and it is easier for all people to use.

Never thought to add it here, since I assumed everyone knew this trick -

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

I do know that this works good, since I have used on my last few XP computers.

Even my Windows 7 was set this way the day after I got it, and it is easier for all people to use.

Never thought to add it here, since I assumed everyone knew this trick -

Hi Aussie,

Love your comment.

Don't you believe it, there are egg-heads walking around today that do not know who the President of the US is.  NASA have sent 9 missions to the Moon and a buggy to Mars, but probably half of these guys are still double clicking their Windows because they know no better. Perhaps they will log in to BC and read my post.

I am no dummy, good technical/scientific education, extensive high level, responsible career and I was double clicking for 4 years  before I  stumbled across single click. Never looked back since.

My simple brain says "Why double  click when a single click is enough ?" So I posted this to help others. I think that MS should have had single click as default.

Edited by yabbadoo, 07 July 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

My simple brain says "Why double  click when a single click is enough ?" So I posted this to help others. I think that MS should have had single click as default. <<

Most likely due to the idea that with kids playing on a computer they may hit any icon and open an unwanted (or protected) program then make changes without knowing.

It is a very good idea, but only if you know what you are clicking on in the first place -

P.S. Who is the President of the USA   :hysterical: 

Regards -

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

My simple brain says "Why double  click when a single click is enough ?" So I posted this to help others. I think that MS should have had single click as default. <<

Most likely due to the idea that with kids playing on a computer they may hit any icon and open an unwanted (or protected) program then make changes without knowing.

It is a very good idea, but only if you know what you are clicking on in the first place -

P.S. Who is the President of the USA   :hysterical: 

Regards -

Good point Aussie.
Being a single user myself, I have no experience of others using my PC, especially kids. As such, I did find the double click a monumental PITA.

Single clicking is the hypochondriacs dream for reducing the time taken for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, the keyboard thumpers nightmare to inflict them, by half.

President of the US ? What a silly question, everybody knows that - its Winston Churchill.

Edited by yabbadoo, 08 July 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#6 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

This option is avaliable from Win98. Why not many people use it???

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#7 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Because they may have kids and observe what Aussie said in keeping the double click for safety, or the cat may have a habit of walking all over their keyboard.  Or they simply do not know about it like myself for 4 years.

You would be surprised how many users, some experienced do not know the very fundamentals about  the built-in facilities and capabilities of Windows. Beyond their keyboard and screen, that is IT.

Edited by yabbadoo, 08 July 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#8 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Because they may have kids and observe what Aussie said in keeping the double click for safety, or the cat may have a habit of walking all over their keyboard.  Or they simply do not know about it like myself for 4 years.

You would be surprised how many users, some experienced do not know the very fundamentals about  the built-in facilities and capabilities of Windows. Beyond their keyboard and screen, that is IT.

Really true, even when I know that I never use it.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#9 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Just a thought, wouldn't single click tangle with click and drag. If a single click opens the application how would you drag it to, for example another folder.

I may just be not thinking straight haha.

Craig

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#10 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Just a thought, wouldn't single click tangle with click and drag. If a single click opens the application how would you drag it to, for example another folder.

Craig

There is no problem.

You single click to open a program, but when you want to drag, you keep the mouse key pressed down and drag. The program does not open with the key kept pressed down, it is only when you release it on the icon the program opens.

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

I use Linux but administrate Windows. I'm always having fun waiting for things that aren't going to open or closing things that I opened by accident.

My users would bleat  so loudly that I'd be looking for work if I changed them all to single click.

#12 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

Craig

There is no problem.

You single click to open a program, but when you want to drag, you keep the mouse key pressed down and drag. The program does not open with the key kept pressed down, it is only when you release it on the icon the program opens.

Ah right, thanks for the clarification.

Craig

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#13 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:58 AM

I use Linux but administrate Windows. I'm always having fun waiting for things that aren't going to open or closing things that I opened by accident.

My users would bleat  so loudly that I'd be looking for work if I changed them all to single click.

I have never opened any program unintentionally with a single click. By mistake, yes, nobody is perfect. Experienced operators should not need double click protection against human error. I know of no other key operated device in our modern world of thousands of electronic contraptions which use a double click. It would drive people crackers on a telephone.

So why have a double  click on a PC ? No reason at all. The only concession I would make are kids and cats. But then kids use telephones.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'm gonna get my kids touch screen computers in the future, for internet use etc.... That way they'll do less damage. :notanangel:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users