Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Unmountable Boot Volume but also will not boot from CD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mattybatty

mattybatty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Computer (HP Pavilion, Windows Vista 64bit) BSODs with error message Unmountable_boot_volume. I have booted on F8 and attempted safe mode and all other options with same result. I have booted on F1, selected CD drive as primary boot option, and attempted to boot from HP recovery disc. I get the following message: ATAPI IDE CD ROM Device version p2.00 Error: Unable to detect Atapi IDE Driver not loaded then goes to black screen CD-ROM=Q: Bad command or file name C:\> I have also ran a memory diagnostic. I have pulled all 4 RAM chips and switched them around, unplugged the hard drive, unplugged the CPU fan, etc. Nothing works. I think it may be dead. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hi

:welcome: to the BC forum

The error code you are receiving is related to hard disk. Possible causes are the following.

- Faulty HDD cable 

- Severely corrupted file system on the hard disk 

- Failed hard disk (most common reason )

Please do the following steps one by one.

1 ) Replace the HDD SATA cable. If you don't have a spare one, borrow the cable connected to the optical drive.

sata.gif

2 ) Test the health condition of the HDD using manufacturer's diagnostic tool.

Identify the brand of your hard disk and download the appropriate DOS based diagnostic tool by referring the below link.

http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Let us know your findings after running the hard disk test. Also specify the exact model number of your system in next reply.

#3 mattybatty

mattybatty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, sorry, it's an HP Pavilion A6000. I switched out the cables with the CD drive and still same issue, so it's certainly not the cable. I know the unmountable boot volume message relates to the hard drive, but is this also the case with the driver not loaded error I am getting when trying to boot from the recovery CD?

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hi

Can you post a screen shot of the error message when you are trying to load the recovery DVD ?

Also please not that there is no point in trying to restore the OS in a possibly failing  hard disk. First run the HDD diagnostic and confirm the disk is in good condition. If it is good, you can try to recover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users