Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No POST/ video on a new build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shart4legged

shart4legged

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

I am In a major jam here, and need help. This is a new build with all new components.

Specifications as follows.

Mobo : Asus P8Z77 WS socket 1155

Processor : Intel XEON E3-1230 v2 LGA1155

Ram : 4x8gig Super Talent P/N W1333ub8gv DDR3-1333 cl 9 non ecc

PSU : NZXT 850 watt Hale 82 series

Case :Corsair Graphite Series 600T

Graphics Card : Nvidia Quadro by PNY

HDD: Seagate Barracuda SATA 3TB

SDD Crucial: 256 GB SATA 6GBS

My Problem : No POST / Video

What I have done so far :

Currently I am just trying to get to the BIOS. I have tried booting the machine with everything installed, with no success. Right now I am at bare bones, 1 stick of RAM no HDD no SDD using the on board DVI Video connection with a DVI to VGA adapter and a CRT monitor. Still no POST or video. I get a beep code for no VGA detect as well as the blue VGA Diag on the mother board. I also get the HDD Diag. blue light on the mobo but as I have disconnected the drives I am not concerned about that yet.

I have been working on this for several days and have even swapped mother boards. Both boards act the same. I have tried different Ram sticks in each of the four rails.

I have tried using the graphics card for video, in one two and three monitor configurations.

I have called ASUS, followed their trouble shooting procedures and was told I had a bad board, but I doubt if TWO boards from two different places would be defective in the same manner.

The NZXT power supply checks out except for the -5v output which I am fairly sure is obsolete in the ATX standards. I have tried a PSU with the -5v available though, with no success.

I researched this combination very thoroughly and was confident it would work. Can Anyone suggest what I have missed?

Just to provide a little more insight, this is not a gaming computer. It is for a CPA who likes to use multiple monitors and needs a lot of storage space. The SDD is for fast boot and cache. There will be external storage if I can get this thing running. Does anyone see where I went wrong ?

Thanks

shart4legged

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

What BIOS revision on that motherboard?  Doublesure of all of your connectors (24pin/8pin/4pin molex by mem slots?  Does that Quadro have any PCIE 8/6 pin connectors on it?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

what are you doing using a zeon processor and non-ecc ram?

Can't tell for absolute certain, but this what I would bet money on, that and the bios version, but you'll never know what bios you have until you get it to POST. That processor was not supported on the first bios but support for it was added later on.

You have the difficult decision of getting a normal processor (i3/i5/i7) and seeing if it will post or getting ECC ram and seeing if it will post. Your call.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 06 July 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#4 shart4legged

shart4legged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Bios on the mobo is 3403 . The number was taken from the barcode label on the board near the 24pin eatx power connector. . In conversation with the help desk at ASUS they said this is a good Bios. The Quadro has no other connectors other than the PCIe rail. A compatibility chart by Intel said the non ecc ram  was supported by the processor and I found a good deal on 32gig of Super Talent ddr3 1333. Economics really was the driver on that choice. I am going out to buy some ecc ram and see what happens.

I am seriously confused now. Right after the above post I went to the Crucial Memory adviser to look up the P/N

for some ecc ram. All Crucial recommends for this board is non ecc ram.

shart4legged

Edited by shart4legged, 07 July 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

Yea - its one of things that you will blunder into when moving from consumer builds into workstation/server builds.

And support representatives deal with so few workstation builds they will have no clue what you are doing. I had a couple of clients that wanted to upgrade the memory of their machines because they felt the machines were slow and they came in with the sticks of ecc memory in hand and looked at me like I was crazy when I told them that they would have to order memory because most shops don't have ecc memory on hand. The better part was when they insisted that the non-ecc memory they already tried was most likely defective.

If you look at the HP and Dell workstation builds that use ZEON processors you find that the majority use ECC memory.

Yes the ZEON and the board do technically support non-ecc memory but I think that when put in for the first time the board bios looks at the processor and defaults to ecc. You may be able to get one stick of ecc memory and boot into the bios and then change the settings to support non-ecc then shutoff and swap the memory but you will most likely have a situation where the board for whatever reason will set itself back to defaults 6 months down the line and then you're digging around for that ecc chip that you have laying around.

#6 shart4legged

shart4legged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Alright, solved the problem. The xeon processor I chose (E3-1230 v2) does not support on board graphics. Thus no output at the DVI connector I expected to be able to use. The little quadro graphics card will not work without an os so no out put there as the HDD is brand new. Hard to install anything when you can't see whats going on. Solution? Grab an old Fire GL 7200 card I had laying around plug it in a PCIe slot and viola monitors come right up. Load the OS, Down load the drivers for the quadro pull the firegl install the quadro and we now have 4 monitor capability! That old GL card saved the day. NVIDIA could take a lesson from ATI (now AMD) and not make their cards OS reliant. The whole ECC ram/Non Ecc ram thing is not an issue and the non ecc sticks were cheaper and I didn't take the performance hit ECC memory would have caused. No settings had to be changed no jumpers were involved the processor simply supports non ecc memory without any issues. Thanks for all the suggestions though, I was at my wits end.

#7 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

Wow congrats - I definitely didn't see that one coming.

#8 herbaklez

herbaklez

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

Pleased that you sorted your problem

Mine still persists and nobody appears to have a clue!

I did have concerns that there is no onboard graphics on the MOBO, but fortunately the Graphics card actually works with no OS, (so long as I'm using a CPU borrowed from another computer!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users