Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RoyalMech2001

RoyalMech2001

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:34 AM

Hi

One night as I was shutting down the system,I got the message that updates are being installed and I shouldnt shut the system down.

I just left the system on,but disconnected the power and internet.The update didnt complete and system ran out of battery.

The next day I couldnt restart the system as there was a boot failure.I somehow managed to restart the system using various tools ( system restore didnt work,some back up option helped i guess).

Ever since,the system is really slow,windows media player doesnt work etc.

I suspect that the registry is corrupted or something.

Am not a techie,hence please help.

Regards

Dev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

You have probably corrupted something, but it shouldn't be too difficult to fix !

I understand from your post that you can get the computer to run normally, just very slowly and with some other problems. I would suggest you restore your Windows to a date before you had the failed updates.

Click on 'Start / Control Panel / Recovery / Open system restore'. This will take you to the Windows restore screen where you will see a default restore point selected. If this is before the date of your failed update, well and good, just click the buttons to continue. If the date of this restore point is NOT before the date of your problem, click the little box at the bottom left 'Show more restore points', then pick a suitabale one and continue with the process. Leave the computer strictly alone while it is doing this, it can take a few minutes, then re-boot and see if it is behaving normally again. If it is, great. If it isn't, post back.

Of course, you will now have to catch up on any updates between your chosen restore point and now. This time, don't disconnect from the internet, and don't disconnect from the mains electricity !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 RoyalMech2001

RoyalMech2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

Hi Chris

Thanks for the response.

The system restore did not show any restore points.Hence your solution wont work.

I clicked on more restore options ( I forgot the options  shown).But nothing worked.

The last option was a Dell Emergency Backup.Let me be frank that I have been lazy to configure a back up etc.but somehow the system was busy for around 30 minutes but started working.

The issue now is the system is way too slow.I tried a DLL-fixer tool and it showed way too many errors ( majority were Registry errors).

It showed some other type of errors too and showed the system health as poor.This tool is recommended by Microsoft but after diagnostic,you need to pay to fix it.

Regards

Dev

Edited by RoyalMech2001, 07 July 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

OK, first things first - back up your own data. This is the valuable stuff on your computer !  All your work - documents, spreadsheets, graphics, whatever. All your photos and anything else YOU have created or stored on the computer. Depending on the quantity you can use DVDs (4.3 Gb each) or a USB hard drive ( up to 2Tb + ). Once you have done that, you can relax - disaster has been averted !

Next, you can try uninstalling recent updates. 'Start / Control panel / Windows update'. At the top left of the screen, click on 'View update history'. This will give you a list of all the updates your computer has attempted to install, and tell you whether the install was successful or not. Take a note of any it says were unsuccessful.

At the bottom left of the screen, click on 'View installed updates'. This brings up a list of all the installed updates. If any updates from the first screen appear in this list, click on them and then click uninstall ( at the top of the list ). I would be inclined to uninstall all of them back to the date this problem first occurred. Then re-boot and see if you are running normally.

If this doesn't work, then - unless anybody else comes up with a better idea - I think you are looking at a system re-install. This may be tedious but you have backed up all your own work so you are just looking at the operating system and your applications. There may be an easy way to do this since you have a laptop, and a lot of laptops come with a built-in recovery partition. Possibly the simplest way to check if you have one or not is to check the manual, and if you don't have a copy you will find one on the Dell web-site - just enter the model number for your laptop in their 'Support' section and download the manual.

If you have a recovery partition, look at the boot screen when you start up - that's the one with the Dell logo that appears as soon as you start up - and you will see an entry for 'Recovery', it's often F2 but there is no set rule about this. Again, the manual will tell you. Press the relevant command at the boot screen and the computer will go into recovery mode. You will get warnings that this will cause loss of date, just keep clicking 'Proceed' until it starts restoring, then go and put the kettle on.

When it has finished, your computer will be restored to the condition it was in when it was first sold. You will need to uninstall any software you don't want, install your applications, install all the updates to Windows since the date of the build, and put all  your own data back.

If you don't have a recovery partition, then you will need a Windows install disc. As I understand it, so long as you have a valid registration key you can use any Windows disk to do the re-install, and the registration key should be stuck to your computer somewhere. Again, you will have all the applications to install, but this time you will probably also need to get drivers for your video and sound and other motherboard drivers, but you can get these from the Dell web-site. This is not particularly difficult to do, just seriously tedious.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 abz2910

abz2910

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

I am not a serious techie either but you can try inserting the windows installation cd into your system. When it loads up, open the installation application and look for a 'repair' option. This is if the updates were Windows system updates.

If they were MS Office updates, do the same with your MS Office CD and click 'repair'.

If your computer is slow because of registry keys, etc. try installing the free application CCleaner and keep the default program options (check online for any options you don't understand) and perform a scan and repair.

I may have misunderstood your question, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users