Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thoughts on Ubiquiti network devices? Help with Small Business Wireless Network?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:19 AM

I am thinking about moving to them for both business and home use.

Basically, I set up small business networks that need to have wireless capabilities for internal management as well as wireless for their customers on a completely different subnet.  This is important to make sure there these networks are completely separated from each other per the Payment Card Industry Compliance Standards.  I was planing on just setting up 2 routers on different subnets from the modem their ISP provides.  Then, using APs from there to extend the range of the networks as needed.  Some of the APs will be networked via ethernet and some may not be able to have cable drops run due to the old nature of the buildings.  

I imagine there will be <10 users on the secure side of the wifi network and 50-100 on the guest side.

Any help and recs here is much appreciated.  I know just enough to be dangerous.  I currently have a Ubiquiti Unifi and a M2 PicoStation for testing.  Most of our previous work was done with consumer grade Linksys equipment like the e3200 router and we may still incorporate some of this(also used a SonicWall here and there).  Will be using WPA2 security across the board for the internal company networks.

For the guests, it'd be nice to have the wide open guest networks land on a page where they accept liability for browsing and then go the business's website as well.  I know some devices offer this functionality but that's about it.

Setting up, or perhaps I should say, getting a router with w VLAN option is intriguing as well.  Yes, I am fully aware I am all over the place.

Any help and recs are much appreciated.  I get lost when talking about radio signals dBm, 1x1 and 2x2 MIMO, Mesh networking, channel width(I know it has to be 20Mhz), and channel frequency(I know to use 1, 6, and 11 since they don't overlap).

Thanks!!!

Edited by Bulldawg23, 06 July 2013 - 03:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users