Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashed and has black screen w/ flashing underscore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hurrikayn

hurrikayn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

My computer randomly crashed after I tried to open up itunes and now it is acting like a brand new computer that needs installation of an operating system. I am running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Before it crashed itunes  was giving me an errors something about system image. When I clicked on itunes the 3rd time it opened the program but then froze my computer. When I tried to close itunes I got windows saying end process and I tried clicking end process but the windows were frozen. After like 3 min of being frozen I got the blue screen. I didnt read what the blue sreen error was and restarted my computer.Now everytime I power it on it ask for boot device. I dont what to do, please help. I am new to this forum so sorry if i am retreading an old topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

You might try System Restore to a point prior. If that doesn't work open an elevated command prompt by typing cmd in search then right-click and

Run As Administrator and type sfc /scannow ( note space between 'c' and / ) and press enter. This will attempt to repair files if it can.

When it is done it will create a CBS log file. Then copy and paste: findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will create a sfcdetails.txt to desktop which will show any files it could not repair.

From there open an elevated command prompt again and type chkdsk /f and enter. Then run chkdsk /r and let it run.

You can also try these options: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Edited by sikntired, 06 July 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#3 hurrikayn

hurrikayn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

You might try System Restore to a point prior. If that doesn't work open an elevated command prompt by typing cmd in search then right-click and

Run As Administrator and type sfc /scannow ( note space between 'c' and / ) and press enter. This will attempt to repair files if it can.

When it is done it will create a CBS log file. Then copy and paste: findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will create a sfcdetails.txt to desktop which will show any files it could not repair.

From there open an elevated command prompt again and type chkdsk /f and enter. Then run chkdsk /r and let it run.

You can also try these options: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

I tried doing your instructions but they didn't work they kept on telling me to restart my computer, also I can only use windows 7 when I have install cd in the reboot part. I went into my bios and it doesn't recognize my hard drive, so I think my hard drive is not working. Is there anything I can do to get it working?   

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Do you have OEM disk? If so put it in the drive and shut down computer. Restart. It should display some options. One should be Repair Your Computer

highlight and press enter. It should give you an option for Start-up Repair. Select and enter. From there follow instructions.

I know you said you inserted cd but wanted to verify OEM.

Edited by sikntired, 06 July 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#5 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Turn off and restart. Keep tapping F8 until you get menu. See if you can boot in Safemode or Safemode with Networking.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

I hate to disagree with a learned colleague, but I'm going to !

Hurrikayn, the black screen with the the blinking cursor means the system isn't pointing at a drive with a bootable sector and the screen you keep getting to

Now everytime I power it on it ask for boot device

is the one you want to solve the problem !

I suspect it lists devices like (1) CD drive, (2) The type number for your hard drive, (3) Any other drives you might have fitted.

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your hard drive, then press 'Enter'. Your computer should now at least start to boot, and if you still have problems, then Sikntired's suggestions are on the money.

Best of luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#7 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thanks Chris, completely overlooked that. Important thing is to get issue resolved.

The more opinions the sooner the resolution

Regards...............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users