Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall blocking access to Lexmark X5650 Printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tgaf1949

tgaf1949

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

I installed network to connect my two home computers so that I could use the one printer for both computers. Dialogue said Windows would configure system to allow this, but instead Windows Firewall blocked two files and thereby preventing me from using printer.While doing the network installation, I did receive a message saying Windows had detected something(didn't say what) that might be harmful to my computer and asking if I wanted to continue blocking it. Unfortuatel, not knowing what they were referring to, I said yes.

My Lexmark Service center detected the two files being blocked. My Lexmark all in one printer model is X5650

They are: LXDUCOMS.EXE AND LXDUWBGW.EXE.

Can someone please tell me how I get to have Windows Firewall allow access to these files?

Would uninstalling Windows Firewall, if that's possible to the trick, or is there some other way

Another site suggested opening MSE and working it from there. I tried that but couldn't get it to work. I understand that MSE( MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS) is part of Microsoft office, but mine is Office 2003 and may be too old.

I also have FREE AVG on this computer and also use Spybot. The remote computer has pay version of AVG which includes a Firewall as well. Paid AVG expires in 22 days and I will switch to Free version which does not contain  Firewall.

thanks

83 year old senior going on 65

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Just a thought but have you tried running compatibility mode. ?

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

You might open your firewall and add the executable:  c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\lxdupswx.exe and give full access

Hope this helps.

#4 tgaf1949

tgaf1949
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

You might open your firewall and add the executable:  c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\lxdupswx.exe and give full access

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much. I think problem has been solved and am able to print.I uninstalled Lexmark printer and reinstalled with CD

I have saved your link just in case.

Also think I have found a much easier solution to problem than networking two computers.

I have DROPBOX on both computers,so I can put anything I want to print on second computer in dropbox and should be able to print it on other computer. Haven't tried this yet, but seems like it should work.

The problem was a great learning experience which is great for me to still want to, and be able to, learn new stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users