Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Training for Recomended Tools

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

I was wondering if the staff at Bleepingcomputer.com has any type of training program, or can recommend a training program for malware removal - specifically interpretting the logs generated by the various tools you recommend in the various forums. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

Take a look here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/86678/malware-removal-training-program/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

If there are no open slots available at Bleeping Computer you will have to keep checking back. If you don't want to wait, please be aware that training in malware removal is conducted at various online Unite Schools to include:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Due to the busy nature of Bleeping Computer school I added this post for you to read -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496524/malware-removal-school-code/#entry3065527

It lists the current training schools (all are recognised) and links to all, with a few notes added.

Thank you for your interest in Malware Training -

Good Luck -

#5 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

Thanks to all for the responses - I will look into this

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#7 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Two questions - 

Is there a certain amount of time one should wait if you have submitted a request to the Study Hall Admin for consideration?  I submitted a request to said admin and was hoping to hear back (either way) - in the meantime I have started working towards meeting the other criteria.

Second question - I have to say, I have looked at the other schools and understand the affiliations, but I have a degree of loyalty that I feel to the bleepingcomputer.com site.  Although I'm a relatively new member to the forums, I have been visiting the site for a couple of years.

If you are accepted to a United School and receive the training, are you allowed to assist with malware removal on any of the affiliated sites?  Or only the site that provided the training..?

#8 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Two questions - 

Is there a certain amount of time one should wait if you have submitted a request to the Study Hall Admin for consideration?  I submitted a request to said admin and was hoping to hear back (either way) - in the meantime I have started working towards meeting the other criteria.

Second question - I have to say, I have looked at the other schools and understand the affiliations, but I have a degree of loyalty that I feel to the bleepingcomputer.com site.  Although I'm a relatively new member to the forums, I have been visiting the site for a couple of years.

If you are accepted to a United School and receive the training, are you allowed to assist with malware removal on any of the affiliated sites?  Or only the site that provided the training..?

I hope you don't mind me answering your questions, since I have a bit of experience due to going through the same process only a few months ago.

1) You should hear within a few days, the reply to mine was rather quick (a few hours or the next day I believe), and it should be from Elise. I'm not sure if you get a reply if you do not meet the criteria, but I would believe so.

2) You can only help people out of the other sites until after your training, but once you have then you should be added to Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators which means any site can identify you as a trusted malware and then you can help out. As for BC, you cannot help out in AII or the virus logs once you are added until you are deemed ready.

Hope this makes sense, if not please tell me and I will try and make it easier to understand.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

One addition I can make. Elise has been away for personal reasons since the end of June, with extremely limited availability here. If you have sent a PM within the last two weeks please be patient. Elise will respond within the next few days once she gets settled back in to her normal duties here. Your patience and understanding at this time is appreciated. Thank you for your interest.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

My apologies for the delay, I already replied to your PM earlier today. :)

To answer the second part of your question, usually you can help out at more sites when you graduate at a school, but different boards have different rules. While I'm not up to speed with how all different schools handle this, you can't assume automatically you'll get accepted at any unite forum as active helper. At the same time, I think every affiliated site has possibilities in place (some will allow you without further question, others may ask you to show some practice first).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#11 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

I believe some forums, like Malwarebtyes (I believe this is correct, I may be wrong) do let members with experience help out without completing full training at a site like ours. Of course you would need to show what you could do probably before attempting to help, unless it's a section where anybody can post. It's probably better to wait until you have finished training before helping out though since quite a few forums have the rule of no helping out logs until a certain point, or until after graduation (just from what I have seen).

Slightly off-topic, but welcome back Elise. Glad to see you around again, and hope the business you attended to went okay.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

This is the current version from Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, and all of those posting are Qualified Experts.

These are the groups who are allowed to post advice in the Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs Forum:

• Administrators - in charge of running the site and handling maintenance and all of the day-to-day operations.
    They can be contacted at any time by PM with issues regarding the site or Malwarebytes'.
  • Moderators - moderates and helps the Administrators with running the site.
    They also make sure the Forum rules are followed and respond to HJT Logs.
  • Experts - experts in removing Malware and fighting the bad guys.
    They take on the HJT Logs in the HJT Log Forum as well, and some of them are programmers who make tools used to remove Malware.
  • Trusted Advisor - those who are trained in Malware removal in the Anti-Malware community and can be trusted to provide you with safe removal of Malware.

Some smaller forums will allow "Semi-trained Helpers" but not any major responsible forum.

Thank You -

#13 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

Welcome back as well Elise, and thank you all for your responses.  I hope I didn't give the impression that I was assuming anything, or being arrogant in anyway; if so, it wasn't my intention!  I appreciate everyone's feedback, and you all answered my questions -

Elise I haven't read you PM, but am about to -

If/when I complete the training I was hoping to be off assistance to the Bleepingcomputer community just out of a sense of loyalty since I've gained so much from this site over the last couple of years (teaching myself to use various tools that you offer , using the various removal guides you've published for guidance, all the great information available in the forums, and more recently my own personal experiences with receiving malware removal assistance) - if I don't end up getting the training here, but elsewhere, and I can't help out here at that time, it would just be greater motivation to learn more, and develop the skill set necessary to hopefully circle back one day and lend a helping hand on this site.  In the meantime though, my passion is fighting malware, and after getting the training I would be personally fulfilled fighting that fight anywhere that I could!  

Ok, off the read the PM - 

Cheers

#14 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

Alright, well hey, I had to give it the old college try!.  

I want to thank everyone again for the feedback.  I'll start looking at the other UNITE schools then, and keeping an eye out here for openings (while continuing to post and assist others in the capacity that I can until the day comes when I finish the training, which I'm bound and determined to do!)

I was just thinking how working in IT as a security systems admin for business class environments can cause a person to become a little disconnected from the reality of today's threatscape - when your clients are protected by a high powered business class AV, robust hardware based firewalls, third party spam filtering systems, etc. you don't get many "live threats" that make it through the defenses... but managing the AV nearly 5k in endpoints across a multitude of different network environments I certainly get enough that my work days are filled with battling malware in one form or another.

I know in my soul that going through the UNITE program would provide training that you can't put a price on, and one day getting to the point that I'm allowed to volunteer here, or one of the affiliate sights would be an amazing experience, but also a great learning experience as at that point you're back in the trenches, dealing with real-world threats and "wild malware."  It would be a way of staying connected, and more importantly, helping people that the bastards writing the malware are targeting that can't fix this stuff themselves, and maybe can't afford to pay Best Buy $500.00 bucks to fix it.  In the end it's about them, and to that end, thank you all for pointing me in the right direction.  

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

Good luck in your endeavors for training.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users