Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix Error - The syntax of the command is incorrect

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jubel

Jubel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

Running Windows XP MCE SP3

Latest Combofix version 13.7.5.1

After updating ComboFix to today's latest build I am unable to complete scan. ComboFix was working fine yesterday on the most recent build at the time.  Receive the following message: The syntax of the command is incorrect.

61.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lolklolk

lolklolk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

I too have had this issue, I was on site at a client's location and had this error. On Windows XP Pro SP3 though.

Possibly a build error? 

Edited by lolklolk, 05 July 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#3 jimmimcsandy

jimmimcsandy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Got the EXACT SAME ERROR MESSAGE "Syntax of the command is incorrect"  - only im using Windows 7, thought it might have been because i forgot to shut off my Microsoft Security Essentials.. :(  - uninstalled MSE - Rebooted.. fired up latest ComboFix - :(  same.. "syntax" error..  HELP !!  (glug..glug...)

#4 cmgillne

cmgillne

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

I have gotten this error on XP, Vista, and 7. I have run hitman pro on the 7 machine and it did find a rootkit but I still get the error. 

I am in the process of running microsoft's bootable defender on all of the pcs that I have tried to run combofix on.

I will report back with my findings. 

#5 duafacia

duafacia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Just ran into the same problem, ran an older version and works fine.

PM me I can email the older file.

#6 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

I suggest all of you look at this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/#entry1511502
I personally would not run Combofix on my or anybody else's computer. There have been reported problems after user's have run Combofix on their own, so it's not just because the developer doesn't want you to use it. If you do continue using Combofix then it's your choice, but you have been warned about the possible problems. You may run it a hundred times without problem, but one time it could go wrong. Anyway, enough about what could happen and whatnot, but please at least read the link.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 05 July 2013 - 03:21 PM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#7 cmgillne

cmgillne

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

This thread was created to address the problem with combofix not running properly, not whether to run or not. I would assume that people familiar with this utility are well aware of its purposes and possible negative repercussions.  

#8 cmgillne

cmgillne

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

One of the scans did pick up a couple more viruses but none of them were the cause of the error. I am assuming it is just an issue with the version like Duafacia pointed out. 

#9 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

This thread was created to address the problem with combofix not running properly, not whether to run or not. I would assume that people familiar with this utility are well aware of its purposes and possible negative repercussions.  

I was only posting to make people aware, because while the people in this topic may know this, others viewing if may not. Don't mistake my intentions, I do not care if you use Combofix as long as you know the risks and are prepared to accept them. Too often I see people running Combofix with no idea of what they are doing, or know not of the risks. To everyone else who knows about Combofix then you can ignore my post above.

The problem could be with the newest update if you all have downloaded that. You may have to wait a while for sUBs to fix that, but he will get on it as soon as possible (I imagine he might know by now, but I'm sure the information will get passed on otherwise). For now you'll have to either try and run an older version if you really want to run Combofix or other malware scans.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 05 July 2013 - 04:20 PM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#10 virginsteele

virginsteele

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

I would like to try and run an older version ....may duafacia or others send me the older version?

#11 Campy.Frankenbike

Campy.Frankenbike

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

I got the same error today Windows 7 x64. FIrst time I ever ran Combofix and I let it talk me into upgrading to the NEW version.
I too am looking for an old version...though I do not know yet [I am being helped here] if I should run it again.

After running Combofix, which didn't complete, I have no new restore point and now I can't get any applications online.

#12 thedarkjedi

thedarkjedi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Exact same issue here. 3 of 3 computers so far today haven't been able to complete Combofix, two with windows 7 and one with Vista.

Edited by thedarkjedi, 05 July 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

Using older versions of ComboFix is not recommended. The developer frequently updates ComboFix not only to keep it effective against malware but to minimize the possibility of risk or serious side effects which could result in system damage after running his tool. In some older versions of ComboFix, the expired version may no longer work properly or effectively. In newer versions, it will delete the copy on a user's computer and try to ensure no other copies of ComboFix will run on the machine until an updated copy is released.

These are all protective measure since most folks are unaware of version changes and we do not discuss what they are or what ComboFix does in public to protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. With the amount of work and effort sUBs puts forth in ComboFix, he does not have time to go back and correct older versions to ensure they continue to work safely and properly so it's easier for him to allow them to expire or be deleted. When the tool is required for system disinfection, the most current version should always be downloaded before running it.

I will provide sUBs the link to this topic so he is aware. Syntax Error's are rare but not new as we have seen them before. As xXToffeeXx advises it is better to wait until the issue is addressed and fixed before using ComboFix again or attempting to use older versions for the reasons I have explained.

NOTE: By policy Bleeping Computer staff does not provide help via PM and members are not permitted to assist other members via PM.

Our staff monitors the advice given by members in forum topics to ensure that advice is safe and appropriate. When information is exchanged privately by members communicating via PM, we have know way of knowing if the advice is safe to follow and that places our members at risk if something goes awry.

Thank you for understanding,
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 Bellagio

Bellagio

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

FYI - I have used version 13.7.2.3 without issues to recover from the syntax error.

Available here:

#15 Campy.Frankenbike

Campy.Frankenbike

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

I found version 13.7.4.1 in my recycle bin.
is that a recent enough version? I'd love to let this thing run correctly before I have to shut my computer down for a day.
worried that since Combofix didn't finish, that if I reboot something's going to be messed up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users