Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting OE6 Compact Check Count

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

If you do not have a massive Email activity and plenty of disk space, there is no need to compact the files. Surfing the web on compacting, gives me the wobbles. Many users have had problems with compacting with lost files, folders and messages. Me ? No thanks, I play it safe and leave compacting in the minds of enthusiastic MS protagonists.

When you reach 100 OE open and closures a pop-up will come on screen saying "To free up disk space, Outlook Express can compact messages.  This may take up to a few minutes.  OK?  Cancel"
From then on, every time you open OE  the message to compact will pop up. Excruciatingly annoying. 

But never fear, you can get  rid of this curse so that it only pops up every 100 open and closures.

To reset it manually:
1. Close Outlook Express and all message windows.
2. Click Start> Run and type without quotes "regedit".
3. Navigate to this key ;-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0
where GUID is the long number used for your Identity.
4. In the right-hand pane, double-click "Compact Check Count", then change the value to zero. I chose the "decimal" value option when resetting the value in the "compact check count" dialog box, it is a normal digital value.
5. Close Registry Editor.
All done.
Having set the Compact Check Count to zero,  the pop-up panel will not occur again until it reaches 100, then you simply repeat the procedure and reset it to zero.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users