Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible win 7 infection need guidance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 farrinux

farrinux

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hello People:

I know I do not have the required info as stated in the "Preparation Guide" however I can not boot this computer into Win 7.  I do believe it has a virus and here is what has been tried.

1. I checked BIOS settings and all looked correct.

2.  Booted the computer into Ubuntu from a thumb drive to see if I could access files on the HDD and I could.

3. The computer has a Seagate HDD in it.  Downloaded and ran Seatools for DOS from Seagates website and the HDD passed all tests.

4.  Used a windows CD to access repair options and applied startup repair

The computer was on the internet browsing when the browser shutdown and then other software started to shutdown and finally the whole machine shutdown and rebooted.  Upon the restart it just sat at a blinking cursor in the top right.  When turned on the computer goes through the post and when it should boot windows it just shows a blinking cursor.  This is my sons computer and I still need to boot back into ubuntu and copy his files over to an external HDD.  Short of reinstalling Win7 I do not know how to beat this bugger!  Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Oseyerus13

Oseyerus13

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hi farrinux,

I will be handling your log to help you get cleaned up. Please give me some time to come up with some steps for you and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Oseyerus13

#3 farrinux

farrinux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Oseyerus 13:

My son decided he couldn't wait any longer so he had me reload everything last night.  I appreciate any work you have done.  But he made it a mute point.  Dang kids anyway.

#4 Oseyerus13

Oseyerus13

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Glad you got it up and running again.  Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.  

#5 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users