Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

non-viral pop-up in all browsers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jsaumer

jsaumer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hello - 

I am having an issue with a user's computer where if we go to our company's website, www.website.com, it will come up with a pop-up that is "www.website.com/www.espn.com" and show our 404 page.

It will not do this on any other website, only our own company's website.  It does not do this on any other computers in our company.

It will do this in Firefox and IE.  I reset IE to it's defaults, it still does it.  I installed a fresh install of Chrome, it will do it here as well.  

With the pop-up blocker on, it will listen to it and block it, but I would like to figure out what is causing it.

I have run malware scans, root-kit scans, all have come back clean.

Any advise on where to look? 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2013 - 01:35 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Let's see if I understand...you are asking why popups occur?

I'm a little dense so bear with me...what is it you are asking?

In any case, a look at something about popups:  http://en.kioskea.net/faq/104-what-are-pop-up-ads-and-how-do-i-block-them .

Louis

#3 jsaumer

jsaumer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

It's not an ad. It only on this one specific website and computer, it will produce a pop-up for www.website.com/www.espn.com and show the 404 page.

I am wondering how this one website could be producing this pop-up on one computer, in all three major browsers. 

(I am the IT staff at this company, and this one has me stumped)

#4 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Have you verified that no changes have been made to the computer's host file yet? wort a shot at least.

#5 jsaumer

jsaumer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

I did check the host file, the standard 127.0.0.1 is the only entry listed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users