Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Internal Mic recognized as External Mic

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Genuflection

Genuflection

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Hello, this is my first post and I've been having a problem with the built-in mic on my Lenovo Ideapad P580. The mic works fine for a while after I start the computer(vchats, voice recordings and such), but after a bit, it seems to suddenly stop working. When i check the status of the mic, both through mic selection on skype and on Recording Devices on the Sound options, the mic changes from "Internal Microphone" (which it was originally while it worked) to "External Microphone". At this point, it doesn't seem to pick up any sound whatsoever, confirmed through Skype and online mic tests, as well as the Sound Options. There does not seem to be a way to have the laptop recognize the built-in mic as "internal" once again, unless I reboot the computer. Only then is the mic listed as internal, but only until it recognizes it as external again, seemingly at random(one instance it took 8+ hours for the mic to be listed as external, another time it took less than 5 minutes since reboot). Unlike the problems most people have with mics not working properly(disabled mic, wrong mic selected), it seems like this issue is more unique; and since the mic is still functioning while it is listed as internal, I believe it to be a software issue. I was also wondering if drivers for the mic could be the issue, but I have never heard of built-in mics requiring installation of drivers to function properly. If anyone has any idea of the cause or a possible solution, it would be greatly appreciated :(. I wasn't exactly sure what information to post, since the specs of the laptop don't seem relevant to a mic issue, but if anyone needs more information, I will make additional posts later. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hi,

I would check the vendor's site to see if there are any drivers and make sure that the latest are installed.

How is your mic listed in device manager? That will also tell you which version of the drivers are currently installed.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users