Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this PC setup run games on ultra?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Frederickh

Frederickh

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Hey guys I'm pretty new setting up my own computer and was wondering if what I've put together at the moment will work and whether it will be able to run games like skyrim, BF3, Bioshock infinite on ultra graphics.

This is what I've got so far (all parts being ordered from cyberpower):

• CAS: CoolerMaster HAF-X Full Tower Gaming Case W/ Side-panel Window 1x230mm Red LED Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port [+69]
  • CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK Colour)
  • CPNR1: Cyberpower Sound Absorbing Foam -- reducing audible noise transmitted through solid case panels by up to 75% [+19]
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011***Overclockable XXX***
  • CS_FAN: Maximum Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+10]
  • FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+15] (1 x System)
  • FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator (For Ultra Slient Operation -- SHARKOON Eagle SE Ultra Slient Modular Fan, 500-1200rpm (Custom PC Award Winning !!) ***Overclockable S&S***. [+11])
  • HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (2TB (1TBx2) Raid 0 Extreme Performance [+50])
  • KEYBOARD: Razer Deathstalker Gaming Keyboard w/ Chiclet Keycaps Backlit Programmable [+63]
  • MEMORY: 16GB (4x4GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Quad Channel Memory [+72] (Corsair XMS3 w/Heat Spreader [+0])
  • MONITOR: AOC 23" I2367FH Professional IPS LED Monitor, VGA & HDMI [+127]
  • MOPAD1: Razer Sphex™ Gaming Grade Desktop Mouse Pad [+13]
  • MOTHERBOARD: Asus P9X79 LE Intel X79 Chipset, 3-Way SLI / Crossfire, 4 Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 8 RAM slots,UEFI Bios, BT GO, SSD Caching, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 x PCIe x1 & 1 x PCI ***Overclockable XXX***
  • NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs
  • OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+74] (64-bit Edition)
  • OVERCLOCK: S&S Overclocking (CPU Safe and Stable overclock: guaranteed min. 10%, max. 20%.) [+39]
  • POWERSUPPLY: 650 Watts Power Supplies [+29] ( CoolerMaster 650Watt GX Bronze Gaming Power Supply, SLI / Crossfire ready)
  • SOFT1: McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2013 OEM [+8]
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • USB1: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports [+0]
  • USB2: USB 3 Hubs -- Akasa 4 x USB 3.0 Ports [+20]
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+152] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

If you can give me any suggestions on things to possibly upgrade, or whether some things are overkill that would be great. My biggest fear though is that things won't work with each other such as, CPU won't fit onto motherboard, not enough USB ports etc

Thanks for any assistance and guidance you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hey guys I'm pretty new setting up my own computer and was wondering if what I've put together at the moment will work and whether it will be able to run games like skyrim, BF3, Bioshock infinite on ultra graphics.

Short answer, yes.......at 1920X1080 without getting too crazy with the AA and post processing.  A 7950 is about the minimum card you can run, and get away with what you want in the games you listed.

Not one of the better Coolermaster PSUs. (Well, OK for a Coolermaster, not so great as compared to top tier power suppliers)

At this point I do not know if I would go all out for an X79 build, especially if I was going to the low end of the spectrum on the Socket 2011 CPUs.  The new Ivy Bridge 2011s are due out soon, and even more relevant, Haswell CPUs are already out there (Socket 1150/Z87).  Haswells do really well for gaming.  A 4770K would be happy in almost any situation, really happy when cranking at 4.5ghz.  Now, if you have some really memory demanding application, the 4 channel memory controller on the 2011 shines.  It's just that apps that require that sort of memory bandwidth are few and far between.  If you do want a Socket2011, Ivybridge CPUs should be out in Q3 2013 (my oh my, Q3 is here!).  You might wait a few weeks and see what their performance is like.

McAfee.... no.

Hard drives.......... try a nice SSD (~250-256gig), in combination with a big 1-2TB hard drive for storage and forget the RAID 0 stuff.

$13 for a mousepad?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Frederickh

Frederickh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Wow, first I'd like to admit I understood about 60% of what was said, I'm not incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to specific brands and new releases. Also thank you for taking the time to answer my query. 

Are there any modifications that would make a noticeable difference to performance, without drastically raising the price?

At this point I do not know if I would go all out for an X79 build, especially if I was going to the low end of the spectrum on the Socket 2011 CPUs.

Not sure what is meant by this sorry. However it sounds like it might be worth waiting for an Ivybridge CPU or just changing to a Haswell CPU (instead of the intel i7 I assume). The Motherboards and CPU's area is where it usually gets a little hazy for me.

As far as the SSD goes, are they really worth it? 250gb of SSD costs more than 2tb of standard HD space.

650W CM PSU I can improve for little price so that I can upgrade, any suggestions?

No Mcafee, no mousepad, got it.

Edited by Frederickh, 05 July 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Not ignoring you, gotta run out for a service call.  Will post back later with some more info.  Didn't want to seem rude.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Frederickh

Frederickh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Not ignoring you, gotta run out for a service call.  Will post back later with some more info.  Didn't want to seem rude.

No problem, I'm in no rush. Thanks a million for helping me out!

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

The Haswell is an i7.  At the same clock it runs most apps anywhere from 5-13% faster than the previous 3XXX series.  Some games get a significant boost.

The Socket 2011 is the high end line for Intel.  It allows you to use 6/8 core CPUs.  The 3820 in your build is the bottom end quad core CPU of that line, and honestly, some Socket 1155 CPUs can match and surpass it's performance.  Figure also it is a locked multiplier unlike the "K" models.  Doesn't mean you can't overclock it, but it ain't nearly as easy as playing "pick your multiplier".  Prices on the 6 core K 2011s start around the $550 mark, and for what you get, well, it's debatable.  I ran into this last year on my 3770K build, and after looking at benchmarks I just couldn't justify the cost of a 3930K, and an expensive 2011 motherboard.  I rolled over what I saved, and a bit more, for a GTX780 last month so no complaints.

Within a couple of months Intel "should" release the new 2011 CPUs.  How much of a performance the Ivy Bridge-E is over the Sandy Bridge-E is hard to know.  Maybe 5%, maybe less.  Socket 2011 has ~another year left, and then as far as a consumer platform, it might not get any refreshes.  The new Haswell-E platform (Socket 2011-3/X99) will be a different beastie with DDR4 support.  Really looking toward Q3 or 4 2014 for that puppy.

The current Haswell (Socket 1150) should be around for awhile.  I saw an Intel roadmap and there is supposed to be a Haswell refresh late next year (about the intro time of the Haswell-E so there is an upgrade path, likely an upgrade path....................maybe

SSDs- If you have used one and gone back to a regular hard drive, you notice it.  I get used to my systems, then have to work on client rigs and wait times for stuff to load can really annoy me.....................but the customer pays for those delays in the end.  Just depends on you.  I can't live without them, to some it might not be that big a deal.  My advice, find a system with an SSD and play with it for awhile to see if you can appreciate it.  If it doesn't blow your skirt up, grab a couple of big hard drives for your build.

PSUs- will post back later.  Gotta run and pick up the wife.

#7 Frederickh

Frederickh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Sorry for such a late reply, just got a problem with laptop where it says I'm connected to internet but google is the only working webpage, HUGE PAIN IN THE BUM. (I'm using my INSANELY outdated main PC (the reason I'm getting a new setup))

Anyway, your advice so far is really helping me understand what I'm dealing with and after researching most of what was talked about I think I know what sort of thing I want to go for.

Right now I can't list what those things are due to me being on my old system and internet being dodgey on laptop. Just wanted you to know I am still here but may take me a while to get this internet problem sorted unfortunately.

Hopefully talk soon on my laptop.

#8 Frederickh

Frederickh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Ok seems to be fixed, something to do with my new AVG Internet Security firewall settings. All good now though.

Ok for the video card as you mentioned earlier the 7950 is the minimum, which means it will become obsolete for newer games relatively soon. So I thought it might be worth going super overkill and getting a  NVIDIA GeForce TITAN 6gb, that should hold out for a few more years to come. Will I need to upgrade other hardware to be able to get the full potential out of something like that though?

Next is the processor, I did some research and you're right, the i7-3820 is ok, but not great. The i7-3930K sounds like something that will hold up, what do you think? Is it worth the extra $250? The newer ones coming out that you mentioned I assume will cost a lot that's all, am I right to make that deduction? If it looks good when released though there's nothing stopping me from getting one and swapping out anyway.

Power supply, I was thinking 850W?

If I were to get 256gb of SSD and 2tb of HD, what sort of 'stuff' would I be putting on each drive? What do I save to my SSD and what to save to the HD?

I think that's all that needed covering for now. 

Your help is more appreciated than you can even imagine, I'm so thankful to have access to someone with knowledge of all this helping me out! Seriously can't thank you enough, you're helping get a better system and saving me time and money for free! Lastly I have Skype too if you have time to finalise what we've been talking about if that interests you, might make things easier.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

G'day mate, the 7950 wouldn't really be obsolete as it will be capable of playing the latest games in the next few years. I suggest against the Titan as it is overpriced and it roughly performs similar to the GTX780. The Titan shines in multi-monitor setup where 3 or 5 monitors are used to game. Personally i wouldn't bother getting a X79 platform as it has no benefit in gaming, most games run smoothly on a i5. So your better saving a few bucks and spending that savings on a beefier graphics card like the GTX780. 850W is too much for a single graphics card system, something like a high quality ~600W power supply would do the trick. Usually, the SSD stores the operating system and the programs whereas the HDD, acts like a storage for downloaded files, music, movies, documents etc. 

Anyway, from a gamer's perspective, the graphics card is where you should put most of the money in as it is crucial to the smoothness of the games and most games are graphics card bound.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 Frederickh

Frederickh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thanks very much for the input!

Ok I read some other forums and they said the same thing about the Titan, at the moment it's overpriced for what it is and isn't necessary at all for single monitor setups. So I will be taking into account what you said and dropping from the Titan to a GTX 780 3GB 16X.

I don't mind dishing out a bit more for a X79 as there are benefits in other places than gaming. Although 90% of time spent on this PC will be for gaming, I'd also like it perform well in other areas. I've got my eye on the i7-3930K still as far as that goes.

From the site I'll be custom building my PC on (Cyberpower), for some reason the 850W is the same price as the 600W. After doing the research however I found that having it certified by "80+" was highly recommended, so it looks like i'll go for a Corsair 750 Watts CX750 80+.

I'll give the SSD a chance then and get 256gb of it with 2tb of HD to put all my junk on.

Really great advice so far. I love how quick the response was for my thread and the knowledge in which people have to support me. I will definitely be using this site for any other problems I have in the future and hopefully help some others who need it too. I'll be recommending it to friends also, great community. 

Edited by Frederickh, 05 July 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#11 Frederickh

Frederickh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Ok, quick update to build, it now looks like this:

• CAS: CoolerMaster HAF-X Full Tower Gaming Case W/ Side-panel Window 1x230mm Red LED Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port
  • CD: Pioneer BDR-208DBK 15X BLU-RAY Burner & 16X DVD±R/±RW Drive (please select the Blue Ray software in the Software section)
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Six Core 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011***Overclockable XXX***
  • FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator [+27] (Corsair CPU Water Cooling ***Overclockable XXX***)
  • HDD: 250 GB Samsung 840 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [-7] (Single Drive)
  • HDD2: 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
  • MEMORY: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3/1600mhz Quad Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)
  • MOTHERBOARD: Asus P9X79 Pro Intel X79 Chipset, 3-Way SLI / Crossfire supported, 4 Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 8 RAM slots, UEFI Bios, BT GO, SSD Caching, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe x16 & 2 PCIe x1 ***Overclockable XXX***
  • OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+0] (64-bit Edition)
  • OVERCLOCK: S&S Overclocking (CPU Safe and Stable overclock: guaranteed min. 10%, max. 20%.) [+0]
  • POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts Power Supplies [+10] (Corsair 750 Watts CX750 Gaming Power Supply, 80+)
  • PRO_WIRING1: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+9]
  • VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [-250] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Everything look ok there? Any last changes you would make?

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

Ok, quick update to build, it now looks like this:

• CAS: CoolerMaster HAF-X Full Tower Gaming Case W/ Side-panel Window 1x230mm Red LED Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port

• CD: Pioneer BDR-208DBK 15X BLU-RAY Burner & 16X DVD±R/±RW Drive (please select the Blue Ray software in the Software section)

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Six Core 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011***Overclockable XXX***

• FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator [+27] (Corsair CPU Water Cooling ***Overclockable XXX***)

• HDD: 250 GB Samsung 840 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [-7] (Single Drive)

• HDD2: 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)

• MEMORY: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3/1600mhz Quad Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)

• MOTHERBOARD: Asus P9X79 Pro Intel X79 Chipset, 3-Way SLI / Crossfire supported, 4 Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 8 RAM slots, UEFI Bios, BT GO, SSD Caching, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe x16 & 2 PCIe x1 ***Overclockable XXX***

• OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+0] (64-bit Edition)

• OVERCLOCK: S&S Overclocking (CPU Safe and Stable overclock: guaranteed min. 10%, max. 20%.) [+0]

• POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts Power Supplies [+10] (Corsair 750 Watts CX750 Gaming Power Supply, 80+)

• PRO_WIRING1: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+9]

• VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [-250] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Everything look ok there? Any last changes you would make?

Everything looks good and the HAF X is a nice case, i personally have the HAF932 :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 Frederickh

Frederickh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

That's awesome, thanks to everyone who helped out! Really helpful!

#14 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

I am envious.

#15 Frederickh

Frederickh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

I am envious.

Why is that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users