Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build; powers up CPU fails to initialize

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 herbaklez

herbaklez

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

My teen son has decided to build his dream machine.  Neither of us have ever built a pute before.

I was not present at initial power-up. Apparently after initial power-up, it shut down by itself within a minute or two and then after that, switching on resulted in instant shut-down. We have found that CPU cooler pump and fans had not been connected to the correct headers, and that one 4-pin ATX power cable had been ommitted. CPU has been removed and replaced; all looked fine. Cooler re-installed. All other power connections seem properly seated. GPU and RAM seem properly seated. Now the power stays on, but monitor shows no signal, no startup beeps occur, and the MOBO LEDs report failure of CPU to initialize.

The build:

Asus Crosshair V Formula Z Mobo

AMD FX-8150 8-core AM3+

Coolermaster seidon 240M

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770

Corsair Vengeance 8gb

Thermaltake Chaser A31 Case

Silverstone Strider Plus 750w 80 plus

HDD, (no SSD), no optical drive

Plus other stuff... fans, peripherals

When running, will be installed with Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

When we removed the Cooler pump assy, the CPU did pull out of the socket without the lever having been released.  I now know we should have twisted the cooler off.  The pins of the CPU looked fine.

Please help.

Edited by herbaklez, 05 July 2013 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 herbaklez

herbaklez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

So often, folks are quick to blame a MOBO, a CPU or RAM as being faulty when the error is in assembly or compatibility of parts.

i bought the MOBO and CPU from a work colleague who had some spare gear after deciding to build one less computer.

Since writing last, I removed the AM3 Athlon II CPU from one of my putes and stuck it in the AM3+ slot.  The computer posted just fine.  Tried the AM3+ CPU one more time and it failed.

I think that settles it. Sometimes it is a faulty part!

As the young lad really wanted the FX 8350 and not the 8150 anyway, it's back to the store to buy a new CPU.

#3 herbaklez

herbaklez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

Have bought the new CPU.  Still no POST!

CPU voltage LED indicates that the voltage is a little high.  This is new!

Please... any ideas?

#4 herbaklez

herbaklez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

Have bought the new CPU.  Still no POST!

CPU voltage LED indicates that the voltage is a little high.  This is new!

CPU initialization failure is now no longer showing.  Will try re-setting the BIOS (again!)  This time using the battery removal method.

Please... any other ideas?

#5 herbaklez

herbaklez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

After resetting the CMOS to factory default, the CPU voltage LED shows normal.  All other LEDs are normal.  CPU Initialization failure indicator LED is now off.

Still does not POST. No beeps. Nothing; either with RAM and GPU or without. The only POST to date is with the AM3 CPU.

I remind any reader that both the original CPU and the MOBO were acquired 2nd hand.  Could there be a problem with the MOBO??

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

I've had motherboard issues that were not immediately recognized as a mobo issue.  Any time I would run specific games, the entire computer would freeze.  I tried replacing the power supply, RAM, CPU, and GPU but nothing would work.  Replacing the motherboard solved the issue, but it ultimately came from a process of elimination.  At this point, you have nothing to lose in replacing the mobo except time and effort.

3939.png

#7 herbaklez

herbaklez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

To cut a long story short, until tonight, the only other time I'd flashed a BIOS was from a floppy disk... and sooo long ago, I can't even remember which computer it was!

My how BIOSes have changed! That BIOS was not ready for an 8 core CPU!

Here's crossing fingers there's no other major dramas ahead as we continue with setup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users