Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to obtain a commercial license for Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KJackson50

KJackson50

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hey,

I wasn't sure where to put this, however I am going to start a small computer repair business and I want to know where I can get a good commercial license for Windows 7 and 8. I want to be able to install or repair a users Windows installation if need be, and instead of purchasing one at a time it would be better to get them in bulk or whenever I need them at a discount.

Microsoft has the "Open" Licenses, however this does not help me because the Windows installations can't be resold (as in I wouldn't be able to install on someones computer and charge them for it). I've even considered just having recovery discs for customers, however there are several different discs available for the different computer types (for example dell, asus, hp, etc...) and it could get pricey depending on the type of computer.

In short, I'm asking if there is such a thing, at the same time I want to know if this is the best way to go about it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hey,

I wasn't sure where to put this, however I am going to start a small computer repair business and I want to know where I can get a good commercial license for Windows 7 and 8. I want to be able to install or repair a users Windows installation if need be, and instead of purchasing one at a time it would be better to get them in bulk or whenever I need them at a discount.

Microsoft has the "Open" Licenses, however this does not help me because the Windows installations can't be resold (as in I wouldn't be able to install on someones computer and charge them for it). I've even considered just having recovery discs for customers, however there are several different discs available for the different computer types (for example dell, asus, hp, etc...) and it could get pricey depending on the type of computer.

In short, I'm asking if there is such a thing, at the same time I want to know if this is the best way to go about it. Thanks.

I believe that you are essentially talking about wanting an OEM/System Builder license. They are truly meant for someone who builds a computer that they then sell to someone else, although many people use those licenses for computers that they build for themselves.

I am only aware of 4 basic license types (kind of 5):

1) OEM/System Builder. As stated above, meant for people who build a computer that they then sell (and support), although many people use them for their own builds that they keep. These licenses can only be used on ONE computer and cannot be "moved" to a new computer. In other words, that license is linked to that computer "forever". This license essentially comes with no support from Microsoft. According to the terms of the license, it is the system builder (i.e. YOU) that has to support Windows.
1a) PC manufacturers like Dell, HP, etc can get bulk OEM licenses that are slightly different than what you or I might buy as an OEM license from the likes of NewEgg.
2) Retail. This is what regular consumer are meant to get. This license comes with support from Microsoft. And it can be moved to a new computer (I believe Microsoft relented on this for Windows 8...initially they were not going to allow this, but I believe they back pedaled when there was blow back).
3) Upgrade. Basically just like Retail, except you must already have an older version of Windows install on the computer.
4) Enterprise/Site. This is basically for enterprise/corporate customers who have large installed bases of Windows computers. It is not meant for "resale", to my knowledge.

There could be other options, but those are the only ones that I am aware of.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

It is my understanding that if you are repairing computers and need to re-install Windows you do not need to buy a unique disc each time, see the discussion here especially Post 9 by Quietman7 :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/499490/windows-7-pro-64-licence-too-good-to-be-true/?hl=windows+license#entry3091269

So long as the computer originally had a valid install, I believe you can use any install disc of the correct variety and use the computer's original validation code. The limitation on this seems to be if you have to replace the motherboard and the original install was from an OEM disc.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

I'm definitely aware that you can use any installation disc to install and then use the original key. However I'm anticipating situations where the user needs a HDD or mobo replaced. Or the user simply lost or forgot their key.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

It is my understanding that if you are repairing computers and need to re-install Windows you do not need to buy a unique disc each time, see the discussion here especially Post 9 by Quietman7 :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/499490/windows-7-pro-64-licence-too-good-to-be-true/?hl=windows+license#entry3091269

So long as the computer originally had a valid install, I believe you can use any install disc of the correct variety and use the computer's original validation code. The limitation on this seems to be if you have to replace the motherboard and the original install was from an OEM disc.

Chris Cosgrove

This is true for Windows 7 and 8, if memory serves.

For older Windows versions (i.e. XP), you will need the SPECIFIC version, including SP. From what I recall, you cannot use a Windows XP Home with SP2a disc to reinstall on a computer that originally came with Windows XP with no SP or SP1 and use the same license key. I could be wrong, but that is what I recall. I definitely know that you cannot use a Windows XP Professional disc to reinstall/repair Windows XP Home. To my knowledge, it was not until Windows 7 (maybe Vista as well) that Microsoft started including all versions on Windows on one disc.

Of course, this will not matter for licenses that you can purchase since it likely almost impossible, if not impossible, to find Windows XP for sale.

#6 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'm going to call different retailers to see if I can get a retail or commercial license for sale of MS software (like win 7 and win 8; also MS office) for the simple purpose of resale and to those users who lost their activation keys.

Does that make sense or am I going about this the wrong way?

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm going to call different retailers to see if I can get a retail or commercial license for sale of MS software (like win 7 and win 8; also MS office) for the simple purpose of resale and to those users who lost their activation keys.

Does that make sense or am I going about this the wrong way?

There should be no issue to buying a retail or an OEM System Builder license and then "reselling" them customers...assuming the licenses are "unopened" and unused. You should not need to call anyone. Just buy/order them from the likes of NewEgg, Amazon, or any other retailer. The only reason to call would be to see if they might have some bulk price for the OEM license (not likely gonna offer a bulk deal for the "retail" license). I can say that NewEgg offers 3 license packs for OEM licenses. I could have sworn that they offered larger packs in the past.

Just keep in mind that technically, when you install an OEM System Builder license on a computer that you build or fix, then in Microsoft's eyes, it is YOU that is supporting Windows on that computer. In other words, your customer will get ZERO helps from Microsoft for that OEM license. This is why Microsoft sells those types of licenses for less money.

If that customer wants support from Microsoft or ever might want to move that license to another computer, then they will want a "retail" license, not an "OEM System Builder" license.

As for Office, I honestly don't know if Microsoft offers an OEM license for system builders for Microsoft Office any more. I could not find an OEM Microsoft Windows license on NewEgg. They may have gotten rid of it with their "push" to Office 365. To my knowledge, they only offer commercial and non-commercial "retail" licenses for Office 2013...and of course, they offer Office "we suck money from your wallet" 365. ;)

#8 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

I will check out newegg. I definitely want to do something that will give me the most profit. Also i dont want to scare anyone away with the price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users