Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows- Registry Recover

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 noelckc

noelckc

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

Hi there, I am using the following cleaning tools at least once a week. CCleaner, CWshredder, Spybot- Search & Destroy, Microsoft Anti Spyware and Ad-Aware SE Personal.

I do recall when running the CCleaner that it asked to make a copy of my registery before cleaning the bad registries. I clicked ok and it has saved my registry back up into an unknown place.

Now every time i reboot and log on i recieve this message

Windows- Registry Recover

One of the files containing the systems' Registry data had to be recovered by use of log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

is this normal??? i am very concerend as i believe i have messed up my registry...

Please help

Noel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

It isn't normal.
If it is happening regularly you may well have messed up your registry.

Do you know exactly when (the date) this notice began appearing?

Why are you using Ccleaner regularly and what tools exactly do you use in Spybot? Both of those can cause registry problems unless you know exactly what you are allowing them to change or delete (Spybot has a tutorial - did you read and understand it before you used their "advanced" tools?

#3 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

Nop sorry i didnt not. It only started recently. Just after i had done all the scans and cleaned everything with all those tools. Im a lazy person...but i will put effort into fixing this as it is quite annoying. It started yesterday night. I live in australia and it is now 10.10. So umm 13 hours back from your time it started.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

If it started yesterday, use System Restore and restore your system to a date before yesterday.

Click Start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

A wizard will open giving you a choice of dates. Pick one from a few days ago.

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 April 2006 - 09:18 PM.

#5 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:59 AM

Thanks, that solved the problem, now whats some good sites i can go to to learn about cleaning registery?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:26 PM

Cleaning the registry is not usually necessary nor should it be done at all unless the computer is exhibiting a specific problem.

To edit the registry you need tremendous expertise - more than you will learn on a web -page or two. If you scan through the posts people make about problems they are having here you will find a good many are because they have messed up their registry.

Read the following and see if it helps:
Safekeeping the Windows XP Registry
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s..._03march17.mspx

Windows XP Registry Backup 101
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...try-Backup.html

Introduction to the Registry
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry

#7 noelckc

noelckc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts