Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help scanning processes/files on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcotter4142

pcotter4142

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Hi, I just switched from Norton to Kaspersky (KAS).  I am running Windows 7 Professional, but for whatever reason, it seems like a large amount of the processes on my machine are running as x86.  In any case, I used to regularly scan with Norton and never had any issues other than tracking cookies.  On the first KAS scan, the software identified one source of adware (not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Agent.aece in my downloads folder (setup.exe).  It also identified three critical vulnerabilities.  Two related to my system being enabled to have autorun on the hard drive and network drive.  And the third, Java's update 25 had not been installed.  I've been noticing for a while now that, on start-up, a Java update icon shows up, but when I used to click on it, a prompt would always pop up stating that the update could not be downloaded.   So, I directed KAS to disable the autorun on the hard drive and network drive, then I manually downloaded and installed the 25 udpate for Java x86 and x64.  I ran the vulnerability scan again, the Java issue appears to be resolved.  Now I'd really appreciate the help of someone who knows what they're doing look at my process log - I read about the ComboFix program but know that when a user guide warns not try something on one's own, then it's probably good advice to follow.  If someone can help I'd appreciate it.

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 butthook

butthook

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Hi, I have switched to Vipre and I sure do not like it ! I have always used Norton 360. regards bignosepaul7692 

#3 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

When you say a lot of processes are running as (x86) do you mean system processes, or do you mean KAS processes?

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

Is this process log created by Kaspersky or some other program?

BTW, what Kapersky is doing is not an issue. Several of the major anti-virus vendors have now incorporated a feature to scan for outdated software and prompt you to update. This is because there are serious security issues with older versions of some programs (i.e. Adobe, Java) which can increase the risk of system infection. This feature can usually be disabled in settings for advanced users who know the importance of updating and how to check (download and apply) if updates are required.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

Hi pcotter -

Just a quick item I noted in your post -

I just switched from Norton to Kaspersky (KAS). < < Can I ask if you ran the full Norton Removal Tool first ?

This will cause higher usage than normal if they are installed together -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users