Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading dailymotion videos

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hey, everybody. I am used to downloading videos from youtube. I do it all the time with an add-on on firefox. Today I found some videos that I could only find on dailymotion. My normal add-on was for youtube only. So, I've tried three or four different new ones that covered both youtube and dailymotion and it's all the same problem. They all still downloaded youtube but they only say they will download dailymotion. When I actually go to do it what happens is, let's say the file is 50 megabytes or 100 megabytes but it only registers as a few hundred kilobytes, and I don't get the video at all. I don't know what's going on. Anybody with experience downloading from this site can shed some light on what's going on? The one I'm currently trying to use is called Netvideohunter but the other ones were the same problem.

Before you judge me, know that when I do something wrong it's because I'm an idiot, not because I'm evil.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

I don't know if any of the video downloaders work for Daily Motion anymore. They don't want anyone downloading their videos. They made this change last year. I don't think anything works right now.

#3 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Dammit. My video streaming is almost unwatchable. That's why I download them to begin with. There are about five rare fights I can't find anywhere but dailymotion from a relatively obscure fighter. My streaming on dailymotion is worse than youtube even. It stops every three or four seconds and when I try to go back, it's like all the loading it did goes back to nothing and it has to retrieve everything again. There's no point in watching it that way. :ranting:

Before you judge me, know that when I do something wrong it's because I'm an idiot, not because I'm evil.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Maybe you should try and fix your streaming problem. PC specs?

#5 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

I have high speed Internet and use windows 7. I use the speedbit application that's been helping some, but mostly on youtube. I have an Acer laptop now. It's still a relatively new computer and even though I use the same Internet, it does seem slower now for downloading and streaming. I called my company and they said I was performing within the limits that I'm paying for-but I'm still quite certain everything used to perform much better with regard to the Internet.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

You should probably have your ISP come out and check the service. It could be a bad outside line. Look, if you're not getting the level of service you are supposed to get, switch to another ISP. There is no excuse for slow streaming on a fairly new PC. Though ISPs don't like to admit this because it costs them $$$$$, the problem is likely on their end. 

#7 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

I don't know, I did the http://speedtest.net/ test and if it's in the paramaters of what they're saying I'm paying for, I don't know if changing is best. I'm one of those "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know" type consumers.   Would it be different with another provider? Who knows? I might still be in Internet hell. :angry:

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

Hey there SmartasaRock, have you tried the FlashGot 1.5.5.5 Extension for Firefox?

I've used it to grab almost anything from almost anywhere.  :whistle:

It's not the cleanest GUI but you can (by default) download everything you see on the screen and just for giggles, I went over to DailyMotion just now and downloaded a video of a (ahem) uh, a young woman who was "boxing" with one of them Wii type games.

Downloaded it (took about a minute) then played it back and it looked fine.

After my wife was done whacking me in the back of my head   :lol:   I told it I was only doing it to help you.

Let me know if that helps and have a great day.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#9 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Did also want to add, in my ongoing campaign to restate the obvious, that the files I downloaded (I just downloaded another - appears to be a plethora of "young woman boxing videos", who knew?) that the files are downloaded as .flv files and I play them on the VLC Player (which I love and use for almost all my media playback needs).

Not sure if that's what you were used to (in regards to video file extensions) or if that was the media player you were using, so just wanted to make sure.

Again, hope it solves the problem you're having.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

I don't know, I did the http://speedtest.net/ test and if it's in the paramaters of what they're saying I'm paying for, I don't know if changing is best. I'm one of those "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know" type consumers.   Would it be different with another provider? Who knows? I might still be in Internet hell. :angry:

Speedtest isn't going to tell you why your streaming sucks. There are other factors. At the very least, you should use switching to another ISP as a threat. If you're not getting the proper level of service from the front line drones, escalate the complaint. All ISPs have retention departments that will do anything to keep your business. And that includes the kind of streaming problem you are having. And they have to come out and look at it. Chances are pretty good the problem is a bad connection in the street. The kind of nonsense you are trying to do to get around this is absurd. And so is your reluctance to yell at your ISP if you aren't getting the level of service you are paying for. 

#11 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

Did also want to add, in my ongoing campaign to restate the obvious, that the files I downloaded (I just downloaded another - appears to be a plethora of "young woman boxing videos", who knew?) that the files are downloaded as .flv files and I play them on the VLC Player (which I love and use for almost all my media playback needs).

Not sure if that's what you were used to (in regards to video file extensions) or if that was the media player you were using, so just wanted to make sure.

Again, hope it solves the problem you're having.

Winterland

:lol: It's working. It's working a little bit funny. Some of them downloaded only part of the video a few times and said it was done but when I kept redoing it got it all eventually. But the important thing is I'm getting to see them and save them, thank you! I usually download in MP4 out of habit but I really don't know the difference one way or another. I don't remember why I got the notion that mp4 was the way to go.

#12 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Speedtest isn't going to tell you why your streaming sucks. There are other factors. At the very least, you should use switching to another ISP as a threat. If you're not getting the proper level of service from the front line drones, escalate the complaint. All ISPs have retention departments that will do anything to keep your business. And that includes the kind of streaming problem you are having. And they have to come out and look at it. Chances are pretty good the problem is a bad connection in the street. The kind of nonsense you are trying to do to get around this is absurd. And so is your reluctance to yell at your ISP if you aren't getting the level of service you are paying for. 

See, you're making me sound like a yellow bellied sapsucker here, Frank. But that's not the case. I have zero reluctance to yellow at a company that's screwing me. If I know they are and have a leg to stand on in explaining it. It's that I have no ammunition here. I didn't even know the speed thing wasn't connected to the streaming. If they give me a line of bull...stuff, I'm not going to know any better. This is not my area of expertise. I just don't want to get into one of these exchanges:

"Wonk wonk wonk wonk, so you're getting what you're paying for."

"No, I am not!"

"Why don't you think you are?"

"I don't know! I just know I am not!"

I'm reluctant to look stupid and get nowhere, not reluctant to yell at somebody. I'll yell all day long if I know what I'm yelling about. Ask my wife. She loves that about me.

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

You're too late. You already look stupid. Remember the squeaky wheel always gets the grease. 

#14 iinesti2020

iinesti2020

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

With Audials Moviebox you can record the videos on Dailymotion as your private copy for your own use and convert the videos and movies for your other devices at home and to go.

This is a description how to record videos from Dailymotion:

http://audials.com/en/how_to_record_stream_capture_music_videos_movies_from/dailymotion.html

#15 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Two things. This is not a free product. You have to pay for it. Second, many video downloaders USED to work for Daily Motion but none of them have worked since Daily Motion changed their API and won't allow any downloads of any sort. So the chances are good it doesn't work. And you have to pay to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users