Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Malware from Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lebowitz IT Services

Lebowitz IT Services

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Mod Edit: Moved from WIN8 to the Am I Infected forum ~ boopme

I knew this day would eventually come - I encountered my first Windows 8 computer infected with malware.

My question is, do we have any good information as to how to deal with these situations? Most of the malware removal techniques with which ected forum ~~I'm familiar require Safe Mode, but Microsoft blocks booting into Safe Mode by default. I was able to find out how to enable the legacy Windows boot menu, but that information was useless to me because the malware this user picked up blocked access to msconfig and Command Prompt and prevented System Restore from working properly. The computer is an HP Pavilion 2000-2b43dx laptop, and just to make things even more difficult, HP interposed its own Advanced Options submenu, which offers even fewer options than Microsoft gives by default. When I attempted a "Refresh your PC" from there, it just hung. This computer's BIOS also makes it difficult (impossible?) to boot from a USB device as long as the hard drive is healthy.

I don't need assistance with this particular incident at this time, because I ultimately found the BIOS-level F11 recovery options, which also provides access to the Windows 7 Refresh your PC function, and as I type this, the laptop is about 85% of the way through this process. Hopefully, that will eradicate the malware and leave the computer usable again.

However, for my edification and future reference, how are people dealing with situations like this one? I plan to activate the legacy boot menu on all my Windows 8 customers' PCs while their PCs are healthy, but it's not unusual for new customers to bring me their malware-infected computers for cleanup, and I can't expect them to know to do this.

Mark Lebowitz
Chicago, IL

Edited by boopme, 07 July 2013 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

I've still not had to deal with Win 8 issues like this... Seems like windows 'features' are creating massive usability problems, again. I'm also interested to know, good question.

I actually laughed out loud with the release of 8.1 and the promises of it being suitable for use in a corporate environment. I cannot imagine adding a 4th supported OS to my 90ish machine network.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

What about booting off the windows media and running the recovery tools from there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users