Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Putting a Desktop Icon on the Quick Launch/Taskbar

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Firstly, I know these tips I am posting may be fundamental and basic to the geek fraternity, but a significant number of ordinary not-so-knowledgeable users are members of Forums. They are the target of my hopefully useful tips.

I would suggest that the taskbar is unlocked,  just  right click the taskbar clock and uncheck the "Lock the Taskbar"." If you place the  cursor on the top taskbar line, you can customise the taskbar for depth and width by dragging when the vertical or horizontal arrows appear.

To get any desktop program onto the Quick Launch/Taskbar is easy, simply left click on the program icon, hold down the mouse key and drag the icon to the taskbar, release the mouse key. All done. The initial icon does not move and remains in place.

To delete an icon from the taskbar, right click, select "Delete" on the pop-up panel and it is gone.

For a program not on the desktop, right click the icon>Send to>desktop>Create icon. An icon then appears on the desktop and you proceed as above. Then just delete the temporary desktop icon.

When finished, lock the taskbar by rechecking the "Lock the Taskbar" as described above.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

And just to note, if you right click the icon on the desktop you can pin to start menu as well as pin to task bar... and also from the start menu to the desktop or taskbar... It's a 3 way street. Drag and drop, or right click select shortcut destination.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

And just to note, if you right click the icon on the desktop you can pin to start menu as well as pin to task bar... and also from the start menu to the desktop or taskbar... It's a 3 way street. Drag and drop, or right click select shortcut destination.

Many thanks for that additional information.

I am myself aware of these manipulations, but did not wish to get too involved, so kept it short to the taskbar aspect.

Pleased you added that, it is an important point and linked with my taskbar effort,  just about ties it all up.

Grats

yabba

#4 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Also middle mouse button clicking an app will open another instance of it. So will ctrl clicking it.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users