Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't login to my profile--Stuck on Temporary Profile

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BrianAFG

BrianAFG

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

The battery is no good on my Gateway laptop, so computer will only run a few minutes when unplugged.  I accidently kicked plug loose from wall and didn't realize it; I saw computer was shutting down due to low battery and I quickly plugged it back in, but it was already powering down.  When I re-booted it, it had to run through all the disk-scans and then when it finally booted, it was under temporary profile and not mine.  I tried to follow directions on Microsoft help forum (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile) to fix corrupted user profile, but their step-by-step instructions don't match up with my computer. 

In particular, MS tells me to create a new profile and copy my old profile to the new one.  I created new profile, but it tells me to copy all files except the following: Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log, and Ntuser.ini.  On mine, there are 2 Ntuser.dat.log files and I don't have Ntuser.ini.  The other thing I'm not understanding is once I copy them, I can't figure out how to move it all to the new profile.

P.S.  I also tried to change the corrupted profile settings using this method: http://www.sysprobs.com/fix-temporary-profile-windows-7 but had no luck there either.  When logged off/on had the same temporary settings as before.  Plus, the computer is running incredibly slow and locks up a lot when on the internet.  Anytime I have to restart it has to run through disk scan again, which takes about 20 minutes.

P.P.S.  I am deployed to Afghanistan at the moment so I am not able to run to a repair technician, and since my laptop is my primary method of communication/entertainment, I would really like to have it fixed, any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wddmwindow

wddmwindow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

why not u install windows 7 again to formet the system drive and install windows again if u dont want to do this then do this load a bootable windows cd and launch repair comp. and lauch system image recovery than load driver u have to search that missing file from that windows cd as microsoft says and move it as ms says if not found that file than install windows again.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Something you can try first:

From Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.
Restore to a date just before this issue started.

Follow the prompts. If system restore was successful see if you can log in using the corrupted profile.

In particular, MS tells me to create a new profile and copy my old profile to the new one. I created new profile, but it tells me to copy all files except the following: Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log, and Ntuser.ini. On mine, there are 2 Ntuser.dat.log files and I don't have Ntuser.ini. The other thing I'm not understanding is once I copy them, I can't figure out how to move it all to the new profile.

Right click the folder in the old profile, choose Copy.

PASTE the folder into your NEW profile.

For system folders such as Pictures, Documents, Music, Favorites the best way to do it is to open the folder in your old profile.

Hold down Ctrl and A keys at the same time to highlight everything in the folder, right click/Copy. You can then paste the contents into the appropriate new profile folder by opening the folder, right click/Paste.

For non-system folders that you created you can right click the folder icon/Copy and then paste the entire folder.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 July 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

If you can't perform a System Restore I would suggest running sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files.

cmd will appear in Programs above, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.   

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.

If the scan finds no problem in the first portion of the scan it may stop, if it does not restart within five minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users