Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot up anymore.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 acheros

acheros

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

So, my box was acting a little fragile lately - Stuff falling off my desk onto it would make it blue screen and load back up.

Naturally I opened it up and looked inside and found one of my RAM was a bit loose - It was in there most  the way, but out just enough so that the prong that holds it in wasn't in the slot for it. I pushed it in and secured it properly, screwed the cover back on, plugged everything in.

and now it won't get passed the DELL boot up screen. F2/F12 do nothing, and the loading bar freezes about a half way in. I'm running vista(naturally), all my peripherials are USB, but I don't think its the keyboard just not working that's causing the problem. I'm tried booting it with everything plugged in, and nothing plugged in.

any and all help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Start tapping the F8 key immediately after pressing the power button, this will open the Advanced Boot Options.  This will look similar to the image below.

windows-vista_safe-mode2.png

Use the up or down keys to navigate to Safe Mode, then press the Enter key.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 acheros

acheros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Nope, F8 key, similar to F2 and F12. Doesn't load the menu. I'm not sure if it's just freezing too quickly or not recognizing the keystrokes.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Knowing Dell you didn't receive a installation disc with this computer, right?

You can to to this which will provide the information and instructions for creating a recovery disc.

Step 21. has a link to "How to Boot to the System Recovery Options in Vista".  When you reach the recovery options start with Startup Repair.

Let us know how it goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 acheros

acheros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Didn't help.

But, what I did do was reopen the box and see if playing around with anything helped.

I took out the RAM I adjusted earlier, nothing.

I put it back in. Nothing.

Switched the RAM around - still nothing.

Then, I unplugged and replugged in the CPU fan, I just unplugged it from the motherboard and back in and, it started working again.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

May the wonders of computer magic never cease!

Glad to hear the good news. :thumbup2:

#7 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

CPU fan or other fans connector is very important, maybe it is loose or a bit short circuit so BIOS don't let computer un to prevent problems.

One time a little bug come in my box and sleep at case fan connector,of course I don't know and I plug the computer in, then whole Motherboard is unusable.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users