Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Bad?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Steve E

Steve E

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

I am running a new system with an Epox EP-8RDA PRO, XP 3200+ 1 gig Crucial Memory, and a new 80gig Maxtor drive.
The other day it would not wake up. I had to hit the reset. Then it would boot to the "detecting Drives" and stop. Had to shut it down completely and restart. Last night it would only reboot and reboot, it would not load windows.
I booted from the XP CD and it told me that my Hard Disk was not formated properly and needed to be formated to continue, so I formated and reinstalled Windows.
Today when I got home from work I had this nice message on my screen

Client Mac ADDR: 00 04 61 70 D3 80 GUID; FFFFFFFFFFFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

PXE-MOF: Existing NVIDEA Boot Agent.
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

then just the flashing line.

I inserted my XP CD and now it tells me that "Set-up did not find any hard drive installed on your computer".

Did my hard drive go bad? Or is it something else???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

I just opened it up and changed the power connector to the hard drive and gave the ribbons a little push to make sure they were tight. The ribbons seemed fine. I rebooted and everything works. Is it common for one or two power connectors to go bad or is this new power supply in need of replacement??

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

PXE is a network boot usually from a cmos chip built into your NIC. You can disable it from your BIOS inyour setup. If it just popped up that may mean your BIOS (motherboard) battery is dying.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users