Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Processors

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 joeblum

joeblum

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:54 PM

I'm an old dude (71) and like to play around with computers. I have a Sony PCV-RX-752 with a p4 processor 400mb fsb with a 478 pin socket. Is it possible to install a different version p4?

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 17 April 2006 - 04:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mofficer

Mofficer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

Yes it is, you just have to make sure you get a processor that has the same number of pins (478 pin in your case)

#3 joeblum

joeblum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:53 PM

Any Suggestions

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:16 PM

It will depend greatly on your Motherboard also - for example, there is no point installing a 478 with a 533MHz FSB if your MB only has 400MHz FSB...if you know what I mean?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:33 AM

JPHarvey is correct.
Sony made the board for that vaio so you're stuck with it's limitations.
To upgrade that socket 478 cpu to something a little more current with a faster fsb, you'll need to change the motherboard and most likely the proprietory power supply as well. It's really not cost effective. The biggest drawback to that board is the on-board graphics. You would see a marginal performance increase with a decent video card but beyond that (except for maxing out main memory at 1gb) it's not worth it.
It's one of those OEM systems were if it's getting the job done for now, you're better off using it as is and applying the upgrade money towards a new system or building your own.

Edited by HitSquad, 20 April 2006 - 06:44 AM.

#6 joeblum

joeblum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for all the help. Sony was pretty snotty when I contacted their help on the mobo. They said that they didn't supply that information to users. It appears that I will have to replace the mobo. I'm heavy into video and retired on social security. I take videos of the grandkids and stuff like that. My video is ATI All In Wonder 9600, Video Editor Pinnacle Studio 10.5, DVDs Sony Dru 820 and Dru 530.
With the above information in mind (Especially the part about Social Security) anyone have any ideas for a good mobo, processor and video card(will need capture video capability). Any help would be appreciated. Joe

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:54 PM

You're going to have to replace the power supply too.
Proprietary systems usually have little headroom in their skimpy power supplies.

Just build a new system. You can buy a cheap ATX compliant case for around $40, but don't skimp on the power supply (or use the one that may come with the cheap $40 case - get a good one with enough power for expansion).

Buy the fastest processor and motherboard you can afford. Usually last years top of the line or thereabouts can be had for a good deal.
Get a motherboard that will support the processor you want, support for lots of ram and a good graphics card with its own ram.

Get a Seagate hard drive (because they come with a five year warranty).

Look for deals on tigerdirect.com, newegg.com, etc and look at combo deals where the mb comes with a processor (barebone kits).

Here's one for example - there are many, many others:
ABIT UL8 Socket 939 Barebone Kit / AMD Athlon 64 3200+ OEM / 512MB DDR PC3200 / CPU Fan / ATX Mid-Tower Case / 450 Watt PS / Keyboard / Mouse
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...u=A458-2138%20B

#8 joeblum

joeblum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:07 AM

Enthusiast, thanks again for the info. Being in my position, I get "sticker shock" if the price is ove $200. I've been looking at a motherboard on Tiger Direct(Asus P4P800 SE). It seems to have the features I want and I can use my current processor(P4) and memory(DDR 266 PC2100). Then I will be able to "add on" at a later date. I know that I won't have much more than I have now, but I will have upgrade possibilities. What are your thoughts on this? Joe

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:37 AM

It looks ok but my personal choice would be the following for no other reason but personal choice:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813128232

What size P4 do you have and is it HT?

#10 joeblum

joeblum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

I selected the Asus board because I have had good results with them. I do do have HT on my P4 but according to the specs on the mobo, I can use any P4 and disable the HT. Later on, (When I save enough money), I can go with HT and 800 fsb. Listed below are the specs on my processor. Joe
Processor Specs

Intel® Processor Identification Utility
Version: 2.8.20060328
Time Stamp: 2006/04/17 20:33:28
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: #1
Processor Name: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00A GHz
Type: 0
Family: F
Model: 2
Stepping: 4
Revision: 1E
L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
L1 Data Cache: 8 KB
L2 Cache: 512 KB
Packaging: FC-PGA2
EIST: No
MMX™: Yes
SIMD: Yes
SIMD2: Yes
SIMD3: No
Enhanced Halt State: No
Execute Disable Bit: No
Hyper-Threading Technology: No
Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology: No
Intel® Virtualization Technology: No
Expected Processor Frequency: 2.0 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 2.0 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 400 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 400 MHz

#11 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

You won't be able to upgrade the Sony motherboard. All OEM sytems (Dell, Sony, HP-Compaq, Gateway, E-Machines) use prorietary cases, motherboards and power supplies. This is why so many people decide to build their own computer from components. The aftermarket cases, motherboards and power supllies are strictly standard and will always interchange with each other.

You are going to get even more opinions than the number of people you ask ! Like the old adage says 'Opinions are like a**holes; everybody has one.'

Here are mine (opinions, not ... well, you know). I don't like 'barebone' systems. Much too often the components are off-brand, i.e., not from the leading manufacturers. As far as motherboards go, stick with one from Asus, Abit or Giga-byte.

However, if you want to buy a complete system, there is a decent Dell system, the Dimension 5150. Be sure to get the extra $10 OS disc. That's well worth the $10. This model is actually designated a "business" system. That means it doesn't come with a lot of useless doodads and software you won't use anyway. Keep in mind that Dell keeps changing the package every week in some important way. Last week they offered a free 17 inch LCD monitor, but you had to pay an extra $50 to get a video card (which was worth it). This week they offer the video card free, but no monitor at all. If you do go for this system be sure to get the extra video card. Otherwise you'll have to use the onboard graphics, which is always a bad idea. That puts an undue load on an otherwise speedy system.

There are 2 basic camps, the Intel camp and the AMD camp. IMO AMD gets better bang for the buck. If you feel reasonably confident about building your own system, I recently put together this system for a client:

MOTHERBOARD ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 85

PROCESSOR AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 800MHz FSB 512KB 120

DDR RAM CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 45

HDD 80GB Western Digital 7200RPM IDE 8MB WD800JB 55

FLOPPY NEC Black 1.44MB Internal 10

CD + DVD WRITER NEC Black 16X DVD & CD 45

VIDEO CARD Radeon X300SE ASUS EAX300SE-X-TD-128 Radeon X300SE 128MB 55

CASE Rosewill R203A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower 50

POWER SUPPLY (INCLUDED WITH CASE) INCL.

TOTAL $465

Add about $10 for cables for the hard drive and the floppy. All these components were highly rated by people who bought them from Newegg.com. You can learn a lot by reading reviews at Newegg.

To build your own, you will need exactly one tool: a medium-sized Phillips screwdriver. Thats it. Everything else fits together by hand.

AMD Athlon64 processors come in 2 varieties: socket-754 and socket-939. However, a socket-939 motherboard has the option of running either a socket-939 processor or a socket-754 processor. The 939-pin processors are generally faster and more expensive than the 754-pin processors. Unfortunately, I don't have a scale that measures the relative speed of the 754 and 939 processors amongst themselves.

Remember that you will need a Windows XP disc, too. ($125 ?) Get XP Home, as XP Pro adds nothing that you will be able to use.

If you do much video editing, you may want to put more money into extra memory, a faster processor and a larger hard drive. But, you can always buy a new hard drive, extra memory and a faster processor in the future, which is something you can't do with an OEM system from Dell or whoever.. This basic system is pretty snappy as it is, though and should do the job nicely.

#12 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

What have you decided on for a case and power supply?
I'm sure you're probably aware that an atx board isn't going to mount in that vaio mini-tower and that the power supply won't cut it either? Just curious. :thumbsup:

#13 joeblum

joeblum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Pascor22234:
The System you made looks like one I would like to have. I'm not sure that you read all of the entries over the past several days. Building this computer is like therpy to me. I'm 71, retired and on a very limited income. I do want a good system but I'm trying to start it with what I have. Once I have a mobo that I can build around, I will be in good shape. I have good hard drives, dvd rw(2) and software. I have been upgrading my current system for several years before I discovered its limitations. The Sony RX752 was a great system when I bought it but I guess I outlived it.
I'm have to start with a motherboard that can be upgraded but I can still use the processor and memory that I have. I have been searching for weeks trying to find such a board. After reading all the specs on Asus P4P800 SE motherboard on Newegg and Tiger direct, it seems to fit the bill. I would like to upgrade to a good AMD processor but memory costs shoots that idea down. Its the extras that cost and there is no way around them. I'm the guy you see looking for parts at the flea market. I'm the guy that doesn't throw anything away.
But the heart and soul of the matter, I'm building my computer to keep my mind active. You start losing it when you get my age and I want to delay the process as long as possible. If my system doesn't work, I will dismantle and rebuild. I can assure you I will build a good system over a period of time. There is one drawback, it will be outdated when I finish! If you know of a better motherboard I can use to with my P4 and memory "and can be up graded" let me know, I'm open to suggestion. Joe B.

#14 joeblum

joeblum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:06 AM

Hitsquad: I'm still looking for a case and power supply. Newegg has a weekend special that I was taking a hard look(around $100) Got any suggestions? Joe B.

#15 joeblum

joeblum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

Hitsquad: No power supply less than 450 Watts. Joe B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users