Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 4400 early shut down at boot up on Win XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GR the computer guy

GR the computer guy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

Customer's Dell 4400 tower boots normally when cold then shuts down 2 to 3 minutes into run, usually just after XP comes up.  Total sudden shut down, however, MB light stays on and on/off toggle switch becomes inoperative.  Fans (P.Supply & case) run until the shut down and stop along with HDD.  A second or third attempt to boot while still warm from prev. boot are useless, fans come on and HDD kicks in for 1 or 2 seconds, then everything shuts down before OS starts.  Wait 15 min. or so, and it starts and runs for 1-3 min. thens shuts down again.  Replaced power supply with known good unit, no change!  Replaced CMOS battery, no change!  Reseated all cables, no change!  While running all lights on back of case are on and green, everything is up, but just briefly.  All drives start on POST.

Customer says machine ran two days ago and started yesterday twice then went into above condition where it remains!  I'm thinking MB problem, any thoughts?  We've had a few severe electrical storms in this area over the past week, no evidence of surge burnout, other than this problem.  HDD runs fine when hooked to another machine via Sabrent kit.

Edited by GR the computer guy, 03 July 2013 - 09:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

It sounds like it is overheating.

Have you taken a look inside the case to see if the fan and heats sink are clogged with dust?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

Have you checked for failed capacitors? Tops bulging upward, possibly electrolyte leaking out the tops or bottoms? I get them in every week now (usually older Dell units).

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 July 2013 - 10:58 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

Ok, no answer, so movin' on....

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users