Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random reboots when gaming. Overheating or maybe virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 syncopate

syncopate

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

My laptop is a Sony VAIO VPCEE32FX. Its BIOS version is R0190Z5. Its OS version is Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1. Its CPU is an AMD Athlon II P340 Dual-Core. Its CPU Clock Frequency is 2.20 GHz. System memory is 4 GBytes. I've had this computer since 2010, and been gaming with it since the beginning.

A couple of days ago, my computer randomly rebooted while playing Morrowind. Suspecting a virus might be the culprit (too much sailing the Internet High Seas), I installed MalwareBytes and HitmanPro and got rid of the viruses I found. However, my computer keeps randomly rebooting when gaming (predominately World of Warcraft) and it seems to be getting more frequent. In the beginning, it rebooted after a couple of hours. Over the past few days, that's been whittled down to 90 minutes, then 60 minutes, and now 30 minutes. 

Could a virus be lurking on my computer still, or is it an overheating issue? Current temperatures on my computer (as told by SpeedFan) HD0: 40C Temp1: 46C Core: 53C (!?) It shows 3 fans, but they're all supposedly going at 0 RPM and I'm not sure what's going on with that. 

I want to fix this, but I feel like I'd mess something up if I tried without guidance. I posted this same topic on Reddit looking for help, but I haven't gotten any responses. Please help me!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 admiralawesome

admiralawesome

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Download a program such as HWMonitor, which will show current temps, lows and highs. Try running the game with this program running, and try to run the game windowed so you may have an easier time tracking the temps. If the temperature starts to climb above 85 degrees and up, you may want to quit out of the game and shut it down. After 10 minutes or so, turn off the switch on the back of the computer on the power supply, unplug it and open up the case. Take a look inside and see if it needs to be cleaned. May be quite dusty if you've never cleaned it for 3 years. If that isn't the case, the fan for your cpu could be dead or you may need to reapply thermal paste if the cpu fan is still working. Good luck.

#3 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

I had the same issue after about 1 year of owning the Athlon AM2 6000+ 3.01 GHZ Dual Core CPU.

It was rebooting when it heats up while I was gaming during summer.

I fixed this issue by buying the coolermaster V8 CPU cooler, and it never happened since. Now about 2 years had passed.

Also in summer I remove the front panel of the case and added some more fans on the case to help with circulation. 

Another thing, arrange all of your cables so that they are not in the way of where the air flows through. 

Hope this helps, but first try to find more solutions before you make your mind so that you can compare them.

#4 LazyPotato

LazyPotato

• Banned
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:18 AM

It might be a Zombie Computer,since you mention you had a malware. Post your issues at Am I Infected? sub-forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users