Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TEXASJOOLS

TEXASJOOLS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

I have too much stuff running on startup.  How do I know what to delete and how do I delete it?  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

What Operating system are you using? (XP, Vita, Win7, Win8 etc..)

Craig

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 TEXASJOOLS

TEXASJOOLS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Sorry, Vista, thank you Craig.

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

My bad Texas I didn't read the Forum it was posted in.

If you click your start button then type in "Msconfig" there should be an application that comes up (Msconfig) if you click that and then select Startup it shows you everything that starts up with your PC. Vista may ask for your Username and Password if you're not an administrator. 

HOWEVER

There are important things on your Startup list that you should NOT remove as they will not allow your system to load up correctly. If you're unsure of what things are on this list please don't hesitate to ask and someone should post an answer to what it is.

For the things you do not want you just untick the box. But to be safe only untick those of which you know will be safe to disable on startup.

Craig

Edited by Darktune, 03 July 2013 - 07:38 PM.

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Well...my question would be...how did you determine that you have "too much"...if you don't have any criterion for removing any of the items?

I can only tell you how I approach startups.

A startup is a program that begins to run at boot.

There are very few programs or processes that truly need to run at boot...everything else is optional, at the discretion of the user.  The installed AV program...should be a startup because it's part of your basis system defense.  Many Windows processes begin at startup and because they are basic Windows processes...they should run.  Hardware and firewall and AV drivers should run.

Just about everything else...is fair game for questioning.

The key thing to remember is...startups have nothing to do with your ability to initiate/open a program once the Windows desktop is loaded.  Any program can be initiated from within Windows, once the desktop is loaded...whether that program is reflected as a startup or not.

How do startup items get installed then?  Well, the devopers of many programs seem to think that there is a need...to run an update mechanism or something which gives the developer feedback.  So they build a "startup" item into the the program installation coding.  The user may be unaware of this, the user may be aware...the key point is that these things are totally unnecessary for most installed applications to run properly.

The best way to gain info about startups...is to use a startup manager program, a simple one initially that is easily understood and used.  Example:  http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml .

Now that you can identify the items that are among your startups...you can then use a tool like BC Startup Programs Database - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ and/or Google...to determine if you really want that item among your startups that begin running at boot.

Louis

#6 TEXASJOOLS

TEXASJOOLS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Thank you very much both of you...I will follow up to let you know If I was successful.

#7 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Texas, i would follow Hamluis's advice more than mine, he knows more about this than I. 

I just gave personal advice  :thumbup2:

Craig

#8 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

@hamluis @ Craig   I want to know if there are too much apps on the startup menu, does this have influence on the running speed of computer? Because I have too much apps on the startup menu, and I think it is convenient for me.

Any suggestion would be help. Thanks!

Judith

Edited by Judith1314, 31 July 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

If you are having system problems...that's the time to worry about programs installed, startups, etc.  If you are not having problems...there is no reason to be concerned, IMO.

There is no set number of processes which should or should not be startups...it's entirely up to the owner/user.

If you want a startup manager (please read the instructions before using):  Startup Control Panel - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml /

Louis

#10 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

Thanks Louis! I'll have a look on that instructions carefully.

Again, thank you very much!

Judith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users