Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Search and Indexing crashing -- have tried all other fixes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darimini

darimini

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hi, all -

So my hard drive dropped dead a couple of months ago and I bought a new one.  The old one was 500GB, and while looking at prices on WD notebook hard drives, the 750GB was pretty close in price, so I bought it.

My mistake. 

After a full system restore from a disk image I had, I realized that I couldn't search for text in the body of my emails in MS Outlook 2010 the way I used to be able to.  So the first thing I checked was the indexing Options.  That window opened and said "Indexing is not running."  The list of included and excluded locations was completely blank.  So, I clicked on "Advanced" and hit the "Rebuild" button.  A window popped up that said this might take some time to complete, but nothing actually changed or started running.  Also in the Advanced tab for indexing were fields for "Current Location" and "New Location."  Both of those were blank.  So I clicked "Troubleshoot search and indexing," but "A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting." 

Then I realized that whereas I used to be able to type a file name into the Start Menu "Search programs and files" field and have it come up, this no longer worked.  Once it couldn't find the file, I clicked on "See More Results," and instead of the usual search window opening, the window seemed to disappear AS it was opening, if that makes sense.  It looked like a crash.

So I went all over the internet looking for solutions.  I found loads of suggestions, but none that worked.  Here's what I tried so far:

1. First I was told to go to the registry location "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" But that path does not appear at all in my registry, which in itself seems like a major problem.

2. Then I went to Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows Features On or Off.  Windows Search was checked.  I unchecked it, rebooted, then rechecked it, and rebooted again.  Still no luck.

3.  I used the "fixit" tool here: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_search/en-us     But all it did was detect the problems, "Reset Search" three times, and then said it couldn't fix the problems.  Thanks, Microsoft.

4.  I did the "sfc /scannow" as described on a page another user directed me to.  It scanned and returned the message: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
I viewed the CBS.log file, but could find no match for "corrupt" or "unable" or "cannot," etc.

5.  This came CLOSEST to solving the issue: Another user said, "I finally was able to solve this problem.  I found the answer on another forum and it solved the problem as well.  The error was caused by the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program that comes with my Toshiba laptop.  I guess the old driver didn't like the new 640gb hard drive I installed.  Maybe it was only designed for up to 500gb (this is my old hard drive size that worked fine).  The Intel Rapid Storage Technology program was shown in the taskbar notifications with a yellow exclamation point."

However, I don't have that Intel utility, or even one that seems similar, on my computer, and I couldn't find any "yellow exclamation points" on any other piece of software, or any entry in the device manager, that could be causing the problem.

What I am getting from that is that Windows 7 is particularly obnoxious when it comes to installing new hard drives -- that for some reason, other software/utilities preloaded in the original factory settings, even ones that don't seem like they would have anything to do with Windows Search, screws it right up. 

Now, I know many users won't see why I need the index... it takes up space and speed... and I don't.  What I DO want to do is be able to search for files easily from my start menu and for text within emails in MS Outlook.

Can anyone help?  (Please excuse my long-windedness; I just want to be thorough so people don't waste their own time suggesting things I've already tried.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

I had a similar issue after replacing a failed 250 GB Toshiba hard drive with a larger 500 GB Toshiba drive and using HP recovery disks. The recovery seemed to go fine until I attempted to use Windows update. I kept getting messages that said the service is not running and several error codes. Windows built in Troubleshooter also would not work just like in your case. I didn't use the computer after that as I immediately began researching the problem so I don't know if Search and Indexing was working properly or not.

This is not my area of expertise so I had to ask for help. I received help here at BC and over at the HP forums. I spent hours with Microsoft Support over the course of several days and tried every known fix. Microsoft Support does not charge if there is an issue installing updates or applying service packs.

Anyway, apparently this is a known issue with Windows and Advanced Format Hard Drives.

The symptoms and error codes all pointed to installing (updating) the Intel Rapid Storage Technology RAID Driver.

The first time I tried installing the driver there was no change. I found a more current driver version tried again, rebooted twice and Windows accepted/installed the driver. After a third reboot windows update and the Troubleshooter was working.

The manufacturer of your computer (you didn't say) may require a similar driver if not the Intel Rapid Storage RAID Driver so you may want to start with them and find out what they use.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 darimini

darimini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thanks -- that was excellent and exactly the problem!  Makes you wonder why this information isn't on more sites (this is like the 5th or 6th I've tried).

I was able to use an intel tool to determine my chipset, and even though the Rapid Storage Technology RAID Driver was not pre-installed on my system, it was pretty easy to find the latest version that would work on my system and, while you were right, it took two reboots, it fixed every part of the problem with search and indexing.

It MAY have made my computer a bit slower, or it may be my imagination, or it may even be the indexing service I worked so hard to get back... :)

Anyway, many, many thanks!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

You're welcome.

BTW I noticed some slowness too after installing the driver but at least everything is working.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users